Saturday, July 10, 2010

Utrecht's "Plein Air in the Park"

I got a great parking spot right next to the park today for Utrecht's "Plein Air in the Park". I really enjoyed being right next to my car...that's handy! I did a "warm up" painting of the very cool lion gargoyle that is on the Urban Fauna building. Right after that I moved my pochade box and tripod to the center of the park. I left it just for a second and the entire thing fell over. Unfortunately, a super important part of my tripod was injured. Sigh! I sat on the grass "Jonathan Farley-style" (he regularly paints without an easel, sitting directly on the ground), but I found that I am not crazy about that arrangement AT ALL, so I have only one painting to show for the day. I still enjoyed myself, despite the major prob! Thanks, Utrecht, for the event and for the Utrecht bag with panels, paints and some Linseed oil. Results from today's paint out will be at the OTWAU Gallery August 2-August 28.



8 comments:

Dan Kent said...

Sorry to hear about the easel. I appreciate all the pictures - I was interested to see how you do things out there. I read all of your posts for the workshop, and could not figure what to say - I love your work product but don't really know what you were after. Not quite sure what is wrong with scrubbing out brush strokes. So just know that it was a pleasure following along after the fact and that I am glad that it was valuable. Would love to do the same one day. My word verification on your blog is "covet", and I suppose that's true.

-Don said...

I love your cool lion gargoyle. Those blues in the shadows are especially cool. (OK, yes, the pun is intended.) Sorry about your easel. I hope it's easily fixable once you get it home and into the studio. I would never have been able to paint on the ground, my knees don't let me sit cross-legged anymore, which really sucks. Glad it ended up being a good day... Actually, I have a feeling that every day is a good day to you as long as there's painting involved...

-Don

DJ said...

That poor easel was so tired from all that workshopping last week! But, that gives you a great excuse to GO ART SUPPLY SHOPPING!
Woohoo!


(OK, who really needs an excuse to buy art supplies? But...just in case...)

Janelle Goodwin said...

Wow, painting cross legged on the ground? I think I'd get paint all over me. Love the gargoyle, Celeste!

Casey Klahn said...

Your sketches are the best. Terrific!

Equipment malfunctions stink. That's a big part of outdoor painting, huh? That;s one reason I enjoy plein air on the farm - if I forget something, I just walk into the studio.

B Boylan said...

Celeste! Sorry, but I just had to laugh at your post because that VERY SAME thing happened to me at that VERY SAME Utrecht event a few years back! I ended up picking every single pastel out of the grass and tried to regain my posturing, to no avail! But one thing for sure, you at least go ONE piece done from it!

I agree with DJ on the shopping...hee hee!

PAMO said...

Fantastic gargoyle! So sorry about your easel- big bummer. Have fun shopping!

AutumnLeaves said...

Love the gargoyle ornament painting, Celeste. The colors are just perfect and give it a "coldness", something that is fitting for the subject. So sorry to hear about the pochade box mishap though. I so hate when that happens. Wish I had a sketchbook that was mostly full and worthy of submitting to this museum. What a cool project!