Sunday, August 29, 2010

Day four--Pacific Northwest Plein Air 2010

Today my painting friend Donna Van Tuyl called me to tell me that she had a serious mishap while at the Dalles Mountain Road location. She just finished taking a photo of her set up when she fell down a hill and broke her leg! I talked with someone recently who said "plein air painting has a certain ruggedness associated with it". Well, yes! This pretty much drives that home. Last year my plein air instructor Elio was injured while scouting painting locations too. (Thank goodness he recovered 100%). The very best aspect of being an outdoor painter is that we are not all safely tucked away in a cushy studio, but getting hurt while painting a picture does seem pretty incongruent, doesn't it!? My own story is that I cracked my head open during a paint out on the coast. There happened to be a nurse there who looked at it and told me to go to the hospital. I did, but not before finishing the painting. (haha). 9 staples in my head later, the painting is still one of my best..probably because I painted it with "resolve". Plein air painters are a hardy bunch. Please go visit Donna and cheer her up...here is a link to her blog.
Dalles Mountain Road would have been a 100 mile trip for me coming from Portland, so I opted to paint here today in the overcast early morning. I used some of my new Gamblin Columbia River Gorge Gray that came in our welcome kit from the first day. Isn't it smart of the Gamblin people to make a gray for the Pacific Northwest? I love it! (By the way, have a look at the Torrit gray competition that Gamblin has, the deadline is October 1).

11 comments:

Stephen Parker said...

Sorry to hear about your friend, Donna, Celeste. And you're right about plein air painting and painters. Hopefully she'll be make a full recovery soon.

On another note, you must be having a fabulous time at the competition. Every piece you've done has been exceptional. Haven't seen any of the others' work, but my vote says you should win something.

Dan Kent said...

This is a stunning painting. Love the colors and the mist. Sounds like you plein air folks ought not have "plain" in the name. You should be, let's see, "xtreme air" folks - that's it!

ArtSparker said...

Lovely atmosphere in this one.

B Boylan said...

NIce one Celeste! (painting)
I saw Donna's post and gosh, that's terrible news! I hope it doesn't hinder her framing efforts for the show. Thanks too, for posting the photos of us...what a GREAT 3 days it's been!

AutumnLeaves said...

Misty water-colored memories keeps charging through my head when I look at this delightful piece, Celeste. It is just wonderful! And yikes! Poor Donna!

Thanks to for the info about embedding a pdf file; it worked and I worked out my page break bugs. Now if I can just get it centered on the page properly!

PAMO said...

A beautiful painting Celeste! Such a smoky hazy feel, like early morning fog. Beautiful!
Poor Donna! A broken leg is so serious. Fortunately from her photo on her blog with her leg up, she appears to be holding up well.
I can just see you finishing your painting before getting your staples. Stubborn. You plein air painters are just stubborn.

Joan Breckwoldt said...

Celeste, oh my gosh! Breaking a leg is a serious injury, as is having to have stitches on your head! We all need to be more careful when we're out there climbing over rocks with supplies on our backs to keep us off balance. Thank you for the reminder!
Your painting is beautiful, the atmosphere you're achieves is awesome.
Joan

Donna Van Tuyl said...

thank you for the suport. Think it will be awhile before I can paint. Buckley and I will be back. I plan on being the best patient and go at this healing as one would a painting, solving problems!

hwfarber said...

What a dream of a tree! Just beautiful.

I guess art is like golf or tennis--if you're winning, keep going.

SamArtDog said...

What a bummer about Donna! Broken bones have been an unwanted specialty of mine for the past few years, so while I know they mend, I also know what a pain in whichever bone they are. They do teach patience, though.

This painting is like a dream. Is it? Speaking of dreams, I'd love to see the painting you did after getting bonked on the head.

Linda Popple said...

Amazing atmosphere in this painting.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I'll have to visit her blog and wish her a speedy recovery.