Saturday, August 21, 2010

Oblivious of "the rules"

Cleaning my studio today, I sorted paintings into piles to keep or ditch. I unearthed this painting from when I first began painting...I remember painting it "just for fun". Back then, there was no show to get into, nobody to try to win over with mad skillz. I didn't know anything at all and didn't take anything very seriously. This painting still makes me smile. I put it directly into my "keep" stack. P.S. In my observation, many artists seem to like cats. Are you a cat person or a dog person? I've been both..now I am completely converted to cats. Cats are cool! Here's Dave doling out the crunchie treats for Mufasa & Daisy.


Painting: Celeste Bergin, For no reason at all, 2005, oil on wallis paper 12x9

11 comments:

ArtSparker said...

I am sending a friend to look at this...I think she may want to link to you.

Susan Roux said...

What a comical painting. Good thing its in the keep pile! Yes I'm a cat person...

AutumnLeaves said...

I love your enthusiasm, Celeste, and this is a super fun piece!

loriann said...

Your cat painting makes me smile. Naivette is a wonderful thing. Total freedom. That is what a 5 year old has...and what Picasso tried to get back for his lifetime.
For the record, I am a total cat person. 3 cats and counting. One cat, the Kins, is my total muse...she works with me in the studio and will actually call me with a cute meow if I am not there on time :-)

robeR ¿qué? said...

Hi, Celeste. Very nice, I love this.
Since I saw him, I do not know why, I came to regret Magritte paintings, in a rare period of his painting. you know.
Beautiful.

Mary said...

That's a wonderful painting and I see why you kept it!
I have one of each and they play nicely together.

hwfarber said...

Definitely keepers--the cat painting and the cat man.

Painting "for no reason at all" is joy.

SamArtDog said...

I had a cat who I brought home because he looked exactly like my dog. The dog raised him and the cat raised the next dog. I'm pretty sure he was a dog in a cat suit.

Art with Liz said...

This made me smile! Such fun and great 'to keep' painting. I love all animals but officially, I am a Dog Person.

Linda Popple said...

This is definitely a keeper! It brought a smile as soon as I saw it. So whimsical and fun!

PAMO said...

Ah- this painting is delightful! I like how you captured the cat looking through the fish bowl.
The photo of Dave feeding the cats is priceless!
I'm a cat person and a dog person. They are such different animals, I couldn't pick one over the other.