Sunday, August 22, 2010

Painting over an old painting.....again

The painting I used to "paint-over" was a 2005 plein air of a lilac bush (below). I can't explain what I was thinking with that orange background...was I tripping on acid? Well, the orange made painting-over easy, because everything showed up really well on it. The paint-over is a copy of Edouard Manet's painting "Illustre". I love how Manet used black..he used a lot of black! Painting with black is delicious fun. I will do it again (but I promise to leave the cad orange in a drawer forever).


























Top to bottom: 1. old garish painting from my big stack of old garish paintings. 2. simple drawing of basic shapes over old painting 3. Adding the black & flesh 4. Adding more black 5. covering up more orange with white & black and "impressionist" greens 6. Final painting, Celeste Bergin, Woman reading, "Illustre" after Edouard Manet, 2010, Oil on 12 x 12 stretched canvas.

8 comments:

Janelle Goodwin said...

I wonder if the cad orange glows through the blues in the painting. It's hard to tell over a computer screen. Another painting that draws the viewer in. Beautiful, Celeste!

Linda Popple said...

Amazing, Celeste! I like this and so impressed that you so easily paint over old paintings. Well done!

Casey Klahn said...

Awesome. I use that phrase advisedly - I really mean this is awesome. I must be partial to orange and black.

Those were my Junior Hugh colors. But seriously, I think you favor Manet, and I am thrilled with this painting.

AutumnLeaves said...

This piece is simply amazing, Celeste. I love the historical aspect of this painting, tipped by the woman's clothes. She is a soft beauty and so well stands out against the soft blues and greens of the background. Just gorgeous and I hope you don't one day paint over this one! Truly beautiful!

Gary Keimig said...

this is really cool Celeste. It has a Whistler look to it and came out wonderful.

PAMO said...

You are amazing! I actually like the orange but I can see it's not your thing. I liked the before and after. I am always stunned at how you do this. Pure genius!

hwfarber said...

Just beautiful, Celeste.

-Don said...

Nicely done, Celeste. I really like your final painting, but I must tell you how much I LOVE how it looked in the third panel with the orange still visible, the woman fairly well defined and the lilacs still there. Of course, you know that's right up my alley. :)

-Don