Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Potpourri..The ordinary & the extraordinary


The Pacific Northwest Plein Air 2010 event begins this Thursday. I can't believe that it's already here! I've participated in all the previous Columbia Art Gallery plein air events in Hood River and this will be the best yet! Well, in preparation I went to Tap Plastic to get some "liners" for my pochade boxes. Ever since my first plein air workshop I've liked using the plexiglass for my palette. I spray the backside middle gray. Some artists like to use glass palettes and still others like the wood in the base of their pochade box as a palette/ mixing surface. I guess it is all in what one gets used to. I decided to get several plexiglass palettes cut so I can have them "on hand" in the future. Even though a plexiglass liner lasts quite awhile, I consider them more or less "disposable" and I am trying to reduce my trips to Tap Plastics. I painted a sunflower study today. My cat Daisy looked lonnnggg stretched out on the couch. These are the rather ordinary things from the day. Below is a video sent to me by my friend Theo T. I wasn't so sure about it in the beginning..but as it continued ...I came to realize that it an animator's tour de force..... extraordinary...funny and serious at the same time.








BIG BANG BIG BOOM - the new wall-painted animation by BLU from blu on Vimeo.

12 comments:

Nicole said...

Hi Celeste,
always a pleasure to look at your blog. I had a lot of fun to look at the video - thanks for point to. I wish you nice days at the plein air event.

Nicole

AutumnLeaves said...

Ahhhh...sigh...the sunflowers are glorious and I love the blue background for them...sky...sun...beauty. Perfection, Celeste! Love the plexi palettes. I have begun using tin foil when I work in oils, simply for the disposal value. I am not, however, a good or regular oil painter. I have to say that I seem to waste a lot of paint! Have fun tomorrow!!

PAMO said...

Celeste, I can barely keep up with the volume of postings you make. Incredible! Your sunflower study drew me in today. It's gorgeous. And kitty is very long!

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

:-) so nice sun flowers

Pam Holnback said...

Great sun flowers. Love the long, rectangular size of the canvas.

Dan Gliubizzi said...

Enjoyed the Vid! Thanks Celeste!

hwfarber said...

Your blog always makes me want to set up an actual, honest-to-goodness, palette. With acrylics, I use ketchup cups/paper plates and test the colors on the back of my left hand. One day, I'll pretend I'm really an artist; I'll use one of my palettes--and be able to make one of those great leftover paintings like you do.

SamArtDog said...

Love the cheery sunflowers, and thanks for including the amazing video!

Joan Breckwoldt said...

The sunflowers are so fresh, I like the tall vertical size. They seem to be stretching towards the sky. The kitty is wonderful!
You're smart to order a bunch of palettes at once. I used to paint on wood palettes and I would order 20, then varnish them all at once. I just started using glass at home.
Always nice to come visit your blog!
Joan

Michael Orwick, Orwick Arts said...

See you tomorrow at the White House!

Linda Popple said...

Amazing sunflowers, Celeste! I think the background color really sets the flowers. It's such a happy painting.

Loved the video! I'm going to send it to a few of my friends who I think will like it.

Hope you are having a great day today!! Looking forward to seeing what you painted.

Suzanne said...

What a great video with the graphic artist/video artist talents. Did the opening scene with the van remind you of your car? Maybe if you gave it decorative painting?