Friday, August 13, 2010

Painting over an old painting

Whenever I see an old vehicle permanently parked exactly where it may have stopped running, I think about how it was likely once someone's pride and joy. I could easily have a pasture filled with all my old vehicles, because I irrationally think of cars as human. When I was a youngster my family would drive a car for years and years. We would finally trade one in and I would cry as we drove away in the new car. All of this loyalty is nonsensical, of course..(but I know that I am not the only one who is sappy about cars--witness all the beautiful old immobile vehicles next to structures all over the place. Some people just can not bear to send their old pal to the junkyard).









Okay, so lets talk about how I painted this over an old painting. The original painting is pretty comical. I painted it from life at Hipbone studio a couple of years ago. In case you need an explanation, it is a painting of a seated nude from the back. I knew right away after I painted it that it very much resembled a pork chop.

1. The first thing to do is turn the original (bad) painting upside down (which is even more pork-choppier). With the original painting upside down you won't get too caught up in the existing shapes.



2. I loosely draw in major shapes with dark purple-y paint.






3. Background shapes are next and I try to link things together.






4. I put the "most obvious" color in first (the headlights and center of the hood)






5. I use big chunks of color to describe the various planes on the truck.






6. Wait. Is that a hill or a big pork chop in the distance?






7. Final painting: Celeste Bergin, 1941 Dodge Pick up, Oil on stretched canvas 12x12

19 comments:

SamArtDog said...

This of course makes perfect sense...

It's Friday the 13th, so you simply had to paint a 1941 Dodge Pork Chop.

Todd Smith said...

Nice! Some day I'll work up the nerve to try painting over an old "loser".

AutumnLeaves said...

Well, Celeste, you've quite nicely set my mouth to watering for pork chops now. Yikes.

Anyway, I so love old vehicles as subjects for paintings. I don't think I've seen a painting of an old vehicle yet that I haven't lusted after (and this one is no exception). I absolutely adore this piece. Somehow, some scenes just don't look right without them. Once I would have eschewed a property with an old vehicle in the lot. Now? Not so much. I think that they actually belong there and add so much character to a piece/place!

Now...about those pork chops...

Harry Kent said...

i love it! i love the process and i love the finished product. Fab colours. And all that recycling MUST be good for the environment.

Pam Holnback said...

Love the old truck! Great step-by-step. I often paint over the old piece w/ a cad yellow, then let the canvas dry for several weeks. I might be distracted painting over a pork chop!

Susan Roux said...

Amazing how you do this.

Pork chop? You're too funny.

Gregory Becker said...

Great job. I have a ton of stuff I could paint over.

Mary Jane said...

What a wonderful old truck. Glad you painted out the pork chop because it really works with that sky back ground. Love your style.
Lovely lovely rich painting. Yummy.

hwfarber said...

What a happy painting! Makes me smile.

PAMO said...

I'm in AWE!!! You amaze me Celeste. Your current painting would work in any gallery, don't you think? Beautiful.

Carrie H. said...

Is that the truck out on 26? It's been there for at least 10 years. You did a masterful job on her, bright and no worse for wear.

Earthula said...

fantastic.
and using the material at hand to produce a new work is perfect.
Is that a pork chop in the distance?!

How often do you get to use that sentence in your day?

The old truck is great.

Dan Kent said...

This is mighty cool to see - I've never really seen a demonstration of painting over an old painting before. Thanks. And, btw, I know what this old clunker's horn sounds like: OINK!

Art with Liz said...

Recycling canvases! and a perfect replacement painting. Love these old vehicles.

Tonya Vollertsen said...

Celeste, this is wonderful! I love the color planes and how you simplified them. It was very interesting to see you paint over another painting. I know I sure have enough of those old rejects to keep me busy for a while! When I saw the thumbnail on my blog list I had to come see it!

Dean H. said...

Pork chop....must have pork chop.

I once painted a pork chop that turned out looking like the sexiest nude you could ever imagine!

Love your truck painting.
I, too, attach human feelings toward inanimate objects that I hate to part with.

Michael Orwick, Orwick Arts said...

That was fun to see, thank you for sharing both the painting and your humor.

B Boylan said...

Nice recovery! Love reclaiming old surfaces, because they have that "wisdom" on their surface!
The pork chop looked like a roaster chicken! LOL!

Jala Pfaff said...

Really great.