Monday, September 6, 2010

Meeting....Neil Boyle

I purchased a couple of instructional DVDs from eBay a year ago. I finally watched one today entitled "Dramatic Lighting and Composition by Neil Boyle". Neil Boyle died about 4 years ago and this video was shot long before. It was markedly devoid of editing...it is just this wonderful, humorous, talented man talking a streak (without any break) about how he composed his paintings. Even though Mr. Boyle isn't any longer physically with us, I find it remarkable that I can feel as if I have spent some time with him today...learning some of his methods. He had a very wry wit and he was an outstanding artist. Later I'll watch the 2nd DVD and give a "review".










Neil Boyle 1931-2006
Photo by Scott Burdick

6 comments:

AutumnLeaves said...

I am trying to figure out why the name 'Scott Burdick' sounds familiar to me. Do you know why, Celeste? (Have I finally lost my last marble?) So glad you enjoyed your old eBay purchase at last! LOL I personally still enjoy Bob Ross.

Susan Roux said...

You make me want to watch this... Who doesn't like humor?

Elizabeth Seaver said...

What a great find, Celeste. What made you purchase this DVD?

Linda Popple said...

Neil Boyle's work is wonderful. His use of color and light are amazing. I've never seen his DVD. Sounds like it is really good. Thanks for sharing.

Celeste Bergin said...

Hi Sherry, Susan, Eizabeth and Linda!

Sherry, Scott Burdick is a great painter. Google him.
Bob Ross was certainly a kind man who inspired many people to pick up a brush.
Elizabeth I wrote about my first "meeting" Neil Boyle in a previous post. I plan to get a couple more of his dvds:
http://celestebergin.blogspot.com/2009/10/demur-figure-from-photo-reference.html

hwfarber said...

Always learning--you amaze and inspire.