Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sunshine through the rain

Today after our art meeting several of us went over to Carolyn Rondthaler's house to watch Kurosawa's movie: "Dreams". The first dream was about a boy who learns from his mother that he must stay home when the sun is shining and it is raining at the same time because "foxes get married in weather like this..and they get very angry if you see them." The boy disobeys and goes to watch the procession in the forest. This first dream of the movie ends without an answer. We wondered..did the foxes forgive the little boy for seeing their marriage? Kurosawa's dreams were sometimes grim...but even so... the imagery was so exquisite...all the darkest parts had to be accepted. (that's like life, isn't it).
Some time ago I had a blog discussion about sun shining through rain. I found out there are superstitions and sayings about it in every country.

Painting, Celeste Bergin, Sunny but raining, 2010, oil on 8 x 10 canvas panel

11 comments:

Elizabeth Seaver said...

This is one of my favorite paintings of yours, Celeste. Very compelling--it really draws the viewer in.

Ralph said...

Yesterday I ran and later walked in one of those days where the sun shines yet the sky can be dark and the rain pours as if it was to flood the earth. To run is such weather for me to is to be washed by nature and to feel alive.

Susan Roux said...

Somehow I knew you would paint something amazing after all that cleaning. I really like this painting.

PAMO said...

I love the yellows in this painting. Yellows are so strong, I can never use them without being garish. You give them glamor and elegance.
Your self portrait yesterday was wonderful too!
Here's to accepting the darker parts of life. Thank God we can laugh about it on occasion.

Kim said...

Beautiful landscape Celeste. The colours you've got up against each other are gorgeous!

Pam Holnback said...

Love the subletey of the sky and clouds and the light across the horizon.

Linda Popple said...

I LOVE this painting, Celeste! The clouds are beautiful. It really is an emotional painting.

Thanks for sharing the video, too. I watched the first 2 parts and will see the remainder this afternoon. The procession was amazing to watch and the recorder playing pulled it all together. What beautiful forest scenes. I'm looking forward to seeing the remainder of scenes.

Caroline Bray Art said...

Great post, Celeste, and another great painting. I love your variety of style, it's positively prolific! The light on the edge of the clouds top right caught my attention as did the brushstrokes in the grass giving a sense of space, excellent stuff!

ArtSparker said...

Stunning work, contains possibility and ambiguity both. I thin of the phrase "carried beyond".

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Celeste, I love this landscape. So strong, great composition!

hwfarber said...

I agree that this is stunning. I'll be back to watch the video.

Loved your portrait from yesterday too.