Saturday, October 9, 2010

Birthdays

Painting: Celeste Bergin, Untitled, oil on 6x6 gessoed hardboard

What are the chances that a child will share a birthday with a parent? John Lennon, if he had lived, would be 70 today. October 9 is also his son's birthday. I like all this because I too shared my birthday with my Dad. It seems an unusual event... the chances of it are 1 in 365.

Today we attended a party for Hannah who turned 10. This is my favorite photo from the day, taken as Hannah's Mom asked how many wanted ice cream & cake.



Once there was a man who believed all you need is love. This man imagined all the people living life in peace and he said it’s easy if you try. This man is gone now, but people still hear his message and think ......one day the world will live as one. Happy birthday John and Sean.

10 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

What a great post! I didn't know that you shared your dad's birthday! My son shares a birthday with my dad. That was a very special birthday, for sure, when Alex became my father's first grandchild.

Happy birthday, Hannah. Remembering John, too.

Carol DeMumbrum said...

Beautiful post! Beautiful painting!

Harry Kent said...

a lovely lovely painting, starting with the four values and ending with a Monet

and speaking of values, beautiful tribute to JL, Celeste. I think he knew about peace because he searched so hard for it in his own soul; he knew about love because it was hard to come by and when it did come his way, he drowned in it. I wish i could paint like he sings.

ArtSparker said...

I like the immanence of the painting.

Casey Klahn said...

This painting resonates with me, too. I think it needs a title - Imagine?

Dick Rink said...

Great painting. I realy like this style.

Mary said...

I was born on my grandfather's birthday and my pregnant daughter is scheduled for induction on her grandfather's birthday. Small world.

Caio Fern said...

a beautiful painting for a wonderful post !

but when is your birthday ?

Kathy said...

Happy Birthday, indeed! A lovely post and a beautiful painting!

SamArtDog said...

I really like ArtSparker's choice of the word "immanence".

What a classically handsome guy John was.