Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Memento Mori

Today my friend Carolyn gave me a pair of skull earrings in honor of Halloween. Skulls are popular with artists for other reasons aside from decoration for All Hallows Eve. "Memento Mori" is a Latin phrase that translates to "Remember your mortality", "Remember you must die" or "Remember you will die". Memento Mori in art serves to remind us our time will be up one day, difficult as that is to believe.
Confession! Yesterday's painting is a crop of a still life that really went flat (except for the pumpkin). I could not bear to post the whole painting. FLAT is also what my Triumph's rear tire is (scroll down for photo, it is a bitch to get a tire off that car, so I will be enlisting some help). At Carolyn's house I photographed her (new) skull in her entranceway. I learned yesterday that my online friend Ralph Thomas passed away. I knew him pretty well and I know he wouldn't mind me adding his photo here in my blog with the skulls. He had a wonderful sense of humor. He was 85, but he seemed much younger. Semper Fi, Ralph.

(Top) Sketch, Celeste Bergin, Self Portrait, 2010 vine charcoal on 6 x 9 paper





8 comments:

-Don said...

Skulls are cool. I'll bet you ROCK those earrings...

Every day we are reminded of our mortality. I'm sorry that today your reminder included a good friend. My heart goes out to you and his family.

-Don

Ralph said...

I found this post thoughtful and interesting. I was sorry to hear about you old friend. I remember taking a wheel off one of those cars. Yes I too need to remember my mortality. The older I get it seems the more foolish. Thank you Celeste

Kathy said...

I, too, keenly feel the shortness of life and have stopped putting things off. My mantra is "If now now, when??"

SamArtDog said...

A treasured old tree next to our house was blown down yesterday. Mortality brings change. Will I ever like it? Not so far.

Dan Kent said...

I have unfortunately been memento-ing morti way too much lately. Changes around me, a constant reminder. Or to use the same two words another way, the only constant is change. It is a strong motivator though.

Love your charcoal sketch!

PAMO said...

Ralph will be missed. He sounds like he was a lovely person.

No need to confess! Your pumpkin is a beauty, the rest can remain out of sight.

Sorry about your tire too.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Poor Honey! Sad about Ralph. Sweet sketch.

billspaintingmn said...

Celeste, my sympathy to you for the loss of your friend Ralph.

I have a buffalo skull in my studio
it is a reminder of that happy hunting ground we all hope to get to.

Flat tires get me cussin'@#!!*!?