Friday, October 1, 2010

My day..........and how was yours??

Painting: Celeste Bergin, "Virgin" oil on 18x14 stretched canvas

For once I did not have a zillion things to do today and some place I had to be. Hallelujah! The stacks of my paintings have been awaiting their fate in the front room for awhile. Today I sanded down many of the oils (possibly 1/3). I photographed them first..just for record. I also gessoed over a batch of acrylic paintings. My artist friend Katherine van Schoonhoven has been eradicating some of her old paintings too. It's a great feeling to get rid of the drek.
After my sanding extravaganza I took one of my newly sanded-down panels and painted "Virgin". The idea to paint "Virgin" came from a challenge on the Portraiture forum at Wet Canvas. I think my painting came out looking a little like Freddie Mercury (which isn't so much a complaint.. Baudry's drawing was manish too). Ok..now that's me--what did you do today?




11 comments:

-Don said...

Maybe you should have titled this piece "Bohemian Rhapsody"...

I had never painted over one of my works until I started teaching my workshops. Now I have canvas panels with two and three layers of paintings. You're right, it is a pleasure to rid oneself of the drek...

Happy Creating!

-Don

Linda Popple said...

This is a powerful painting. You did such a wonderful job with it. It's one of those paintings that I would like to see in person.

SamArtDog said...

I spent a good portion of the day warming up my chops on Scribbler. Amazing how lame you can get after being away for a while. Plus, I really liked seeing all 3 of your virgins (Freddy would love 'em). They led me to cruising Wet Canvas again. Had a good day getting my head back into the studio. You apparently had yourself quite a sanding frenzy. Not unlike a squirrel stashing nuts for the winter.

PAMO said...

I love the ethereal feel to this painting. I don't mind mannish women- gives them character.
As always, I'm in awe of how you handle values. I suspect that comes from the sheer volume of work you produce. Mind boggling!

Anonymous said...

I like it---powerful!

Dan Kent said...

I think it's pretty neat to see your initial sketches and then your painting. I like the looseness of the final product - just like the sketches, with touches of color.

Neat how you recycle the old canvases. My day? At my niece's one year birthday party!

Chris said...

where did you get that sander that looks like it has a dust catcher attached? good for you for recycling but you're from Oregon so I'm not at all surprised. Most ecoconscious state I've ever visited.

Suzanne said...

You say "mannish", and as I look at your painting I hear Jeff from Hipbone commenting on how the curve of the lower jaw line under the ear is more masculine than feminine. I ,too, have made that exact "mistake", with Jeff then speaking over my shoulder.
Still, it's a very nice portrait with emotion in the facial expression.

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks, Don, Linda, Sam, PAMO, Anonymous, Dan, Chris & Suzanne! I very much appreciate your comments..it makes my day when people have somethng to say about my efforts! Suzanne, I do have to tell you...I don't consider the jaw an error at all, Baudry (whose study I copied) made his virgin look like a guy too. Lots of Renaissance art is like that. Thanks all for looking/commenting!

Momo Luna said...

Very beautiful!

Harry Kent said...

a personal drama caught in a desperate moment - a great composition to work from, and the stunning way you have put fire into the eye reminds me of the vigor of Michelangelo.