Friday, October 29, 2010

My friend Van (Evangeline)

Van Werth was my very good friend. I feel so fortunate that I knew her...she was without question an angel on earth. She was such a remarkably nice woman, but she did have a competitive streak and hated to lose on the golf course. The strongest word she ever said, however, was DARN. In all the many, many years I knew her I never heard Van say one bad word about another person. Today I attended Van's memorial service and remembered her pretty laugh, her homemade sweet pickles and what a wonderful person she was.

(Top) Oil Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Day's End, 2010, oil on 6 x 8 canvas panel
(Bottom) Van Werth & Van and me (circa 1984) on the Golf Course




14 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

A touching tribute to a special friend. Death and loss are so hard, but made sweeter by great memories.

ArtSparker said...

Gorgeous painting, and a lovely tribute.

hwfarber said...

There are people who "gift" us with their friendship and we're richer for having known them. I suspect you did the same for Van. I'm sorry for your loss, and what a beautiful painting with a great title.

SamArtDog said...

This light-struck painting shines like a good friend.

graziano tessarolo said...

Every so often we are so fortunate to meet true persons and good...

-Don said...

Hallie put it all so beautifully and succinctly that all I can do is say amen.

-Don

Gregory Becker said...

I'm sorry that you lost your friend. I wish you comfort.

Pam Holnback said...

A beautiful piece to go with a beautiful memory.

billspaintingmn said...

Love the painting "Days End" It is
good to tribute your feelings, memories, and tears to the loss of someone special.
Life gives us so much, painting is
a way to express all that we can. My sympathies Celeste, to you and Vans family.

Kiki aka Victoria said...

Beautiful blog..lovely tribute to your friend..and gorgeous art!Wonderful!

Victoria
Enchanting the Invisible

rob ijbema said...

so nice,both words and painting
life ends and life goes on,
what do we know...

B Boylan said...

What a nice tribute, Celeste!
Death teaches us to live!
:)
b

Dean H. said...

I wish comfort to you and her family for losing a loved one.I am sure you will hold her spirit and memory dearly in your heart. Smile for your many good times together.

The painting is a beautiful tribute to Van. Love the title.
I personally feel there's a better place waiting for us.
So, it also could have been titled "A New Dawn".

Chris said...

this was an extremely sensitive and beautiful post. When you lose someone and feel so confused and sad, expressing yourself in an exquisite painting is a beautiful way to heal.