Saturday, October 23, 2010

Saturday thoughts

Oregon has had a wonderful October, many days have felt just like summer, but according to the weatherman it's time to say goodbye to all that, at least for the next several days. I own some Helly Hansen rain gear, so I can always walk to Montavilla, even if it rains a torrent. It's a favorite destination, about a 2.5 miles round-trip for me. I sometimes have a coffee and a pastry at Bipartisan cafe or the new Pastry girl. (Yeah, I know pie calories negate the benefits of the walk).
It is always interesting to see what Beet's auto repair has out on their front lot. Someone there has a sense of humor. This creative Halloween creature (below) was fashioned from the hood of a car. I wonder who on their staff is responsible for the changing display...certainly this new item qualifies as a work of art. During the recent trip to Seattle I photographed a glass item (below right)..Now I notice that it employs many of the same graceful shapes and "rhythm" that the car-hood-monster has. Which one is more beautiful? I like them both.

Painting, Celeste Bergin, Returning rain, 2010, oil on 10x10 canvas panel




13 comments:

Cathleen Rehfeld said...

nice painting, it looks like fall!

Carrie H. said...

Yes, What Kathleen said; kind of those smokey, field burning colors by Salem and Kaiser.

lilasvb said...

i do love your art, it is very nice to folow you

B Boylan said...

Celeste, this really feels like the fall we've been having here in Oregon, with a touch of fog. Nice one.

hwfarber said...

Returning Rain is soooo beautiful. I have a tractor seat that has a similar shape and rhythm to the glass object--they're all art.

Todd Smith said...

Ahhh, you've been doing such nice work...

SKIZO said...

It’s always a pleasure
to see such a Wonderful Work
good creations

Linda Popple said...

Love your painting, Celeste. It has such a nice atmospheric mood to it. :-)

JeMA said...

Beautiful fall painting. I had to laugh at the smiling cat, love the glass.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Love the chunky look to the painting. Is that from using a flat brush?

painterchum said...

love the autumn rainy day mood you've captured here Celeste. beautiful subtle colours in the landscape. you nailed that misty day mood. cute car monster.

Kathy said...

A powerful painting - the mood comes through loud and clear. It reminds me of a Taunay painting I have that was done in the late 1800's - same palette and style. Really gorgeous.

Sherrie Russ Levine said...

you captured fall beautifully!