Sunday, November 14, 2010

An artful day

Today I went to the Museum Art Book Sale. I didn't know that it started yesterday so I imagine missed out on some great bargains...but I got three books that I'm really happy about. I saw the amazing Thomas Moran Shoshone Falls painting in the Museum and also attended a lecture about the American River in Art. I learned some things about one of my favorite artists, Thomas Hart Benton. At the end of the day I painted a cup of paint brushes. I also put some final touches on my Northwest Nightfall painting. Tomorrow I'll deliver it to the Pittock Mansion for their Winter exhibit: "Northwest Landscape" (November 22-Jan 2). And, what about you? Did you have an artful day??

Painting: Celeste Bergin, Paintbrushes, oil on 9x12 canvas panel







11 comments:

-Don said...

An excellent day of art it obviously was. I love "Paintbrushes". Wonderfully done.

I've always enjoyed Benton, as well, and used to get in front of his painting "The Arts of Life in America" at the Chrysler about once a month when I worked in Norfolk, VA. My favorite of his is "Persephone" which I saw at the Nelson Atkins Museum in Kansas City a few years ago.

-Don

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

Celeste, the paint among is simply beautiufull

LindaHunt said...

I like this painting very much...there are little surprises of beautiful color throughout the composition.

Dean H. said...

Great use of darks in this one, Celeste!
Also love the dramatic light in your "View from Mt. Tabor" painting.

Casey Klahn said...

Good posts!

shirley fachilla said...

I envy you some of your beautiful brushes and love your little painting of them.
Such drama with just a little pot of brushes!

Linda Popple said...

Your "Paintbrushes" is beautifully done. There is so much to see, especially in all the colors.

I painted most of today and now will sit and make a grocery list for Thanksgiving. I can't believe it is next week (I'm a week behind!)!!

Nancy B. Hartley said...

Celeste, love this painting. The lights and darks, are brilliant! Sounds like a great day!

hwfarber said...

I like Benton, too, and love your brushes. I just read (or studied) my Alla Prima book--am working on a painting but I'm slow.

PAMO said...

I love this cup of brushes. It is so well executed.
I did have an artful day, mostly writing and reading.
Thanks for asking!

Constance McLennan said...

Nicely done. Hoping to meet you all at Box R this summer ~ Connie