Sunday, November 7, 2010

Loosening up... sorta the Sovek way

One of my favorite author/painters is Charles Sovek. In his book Oil Painting: Develop your Natural Ability Sovek shows a section on painting gestures. He recommends you paint directly onto printed newspaper, for warm up. (I think the idea is that you'll loosen up without a care about the results). I was thinking about Sovek's gesture exercise and also influenced by my blogging friend, Susan Sanford (ArtSpark) who often illustrates onto something that already exists. Susan/ArtSpark usually transforms something that had been relegated to a life in a drawer..into something "new".
Below are my gesture paintings onto some pages of an old book. What was really fun was making some of them step out of the page. Someday I might do more of these with a more serious intention. You might try this too..it is an engaging way to "loosen up".
















Gesture exercises: Celeste Bergin, oil on previously printed paper, various sizes

9 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Hi Celeste- Thanks for the hat tip.

Kathy said...

A great exercise - it really sparks the imagination.

hwfarber said...

I love the way these are stepping off the page.

Linda Popple said...

What a great idea! They are very engaging.

AutumnLeaves said...

Seeing shades of the graphic designer in you in these pieces, Celeste. They are absolutely fabulous and so intriguing! (And on more than one level for me.) I so miss visiting you here for each new piece. I hope I can get back to it in early January. That is my hope, my prayer, and my goal!

billspaintingmn said...

That top one caught me off gaurd! I thought it was a part of the original art!
It works perfectly! I'm going to have to try this, fun!

SamArtDog said...

You give recycling class!

PAMO said...

See- you make this look easy and effortless. Even in your gestures, your artistry and genius shines through. Lovely!

SamArtDog said...

I have a question. Do you have to own the book or do you frequent libraries?

Guerrilla book clubs.