Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Painting.... with Emile Gruppe

Study: Celeste Bergin after Emile Gruppe, Harbor, oil on 16 x 20 masonite

Today I had a look at "On Painting" by Emile Gruppe (1896-1978). I like his muted colors. I thought I would try my hand at painting one of his paintings with his palette. I really like where he placed everything within the space. Sequence photos below: (1). I started with a sketch, (2). I set up my palette like his (3). Per Gruppe's suggestion, I put in darks as masses of blue, (4) after that it was a matter of putting in muted warms and cools. His is much better, of course--but (5). I think I managed to get some of the Gruppe "sense"....good practice!






11 comments:

rajasekharan said...

Excellent work dear...

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
Just last night i was thinking of doing exactly the same painting, (what a combination).
Yes you did a great job, Gruppe' is one of my favorite, have all his books. Davis Lussier I think paint a lot like him. Happy Thanksgiving.

RHCarpenter said...

Thanks for sharing the step-by-step. Although I don't paint in oils, I enjoy seeing the way oil painters start a painting and what they work with as an underpainting. I was drawn in by the cool colors in this one. Your river scene was beautiful, too - so serene.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

What a great exercise and result. I admire the way you are always pushing yourself to learn and master your art.

Casey Klahn said...

Fun stuff on the funnest blog out there. More, please. Happy Thanksgiving!

Leovi said...

Hey, a great job!!

hwfarber said...

Thanks--I like when you show us how you paint. Yours has the vigor, vitality and freshness (I read the book review).

Dean H. said...

Yep...looks like you have a grip on Gruppe! I like the contrast/brightness of the sky.

billspaintingmn said...

What a treat! I recognized the painting and your brush work, what a wonderful combination.
And the presentaion is fun!

Mary Jane said...

Another delicious painting. And really interesting to see the stages.

SKIZO said...

Excellente
Work
Tank you for sharing