Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Potpourri..!


It was an exceptional day here today...how was it where you are? I ran across this illustration (below) in my desk. It's a favorite from yesteryear. (I'll try to find out who did it and add credit. It is very old). It seems to me the only place one can find goofy hand-drawn things like this anymore is in the New Yorker magazine. I'm also including a kittycat photo. Their entertainment is "kitty teevee" (the window).
(Top) Oil Sketch, Celeste Bergin, Red Road, 2010, oil on 6x6 gessoed panel (Update: SOLD!)
(Bottom) Illustration (unknown Illustrator)
Family cats watching a squirrel

8 comments:

Kathy said...

I don't recognize the illustration or illustrator, but I like it!! I hope someone can identify it for us.

-Don said...

It was a gorgeous 85 degrees here. Loved it! The illustration is fun and brings to mind the whimsical work being created by our blogging friend Elizabeth Seaver - although I know this is not hers. Love the shot of your cats. I know the joy they must bring you.

-Don

SamArtDog said...

Funny fat cats.

Dave Starr said...

I wonder when that illustration was done. Was it the 1970's? Good sense of sunlight and spontaneity in the red road painting.

Carrie H. said...

I love those Kittys. I wish they liked me better when I come to visit instead of heading for parts unknown.

hwfarber said...

We had rain today; all the leaves are falling. I like your red road sketch--reminds me of muddy back roads.

Marian Fortunati said...

Glad you had a beautiful day... Love the kitties too...

We had a nice day here in SoCal... a bit warm, but not terrible.

Mary Jane said...

I think the illustration may be by UK illustrator Ronald Searle. I think I see his name to the left in the grassy area.
If you Google his name you will come across websites with more info and showing the same Searle style.

www.art-of-illustration.co.uk/searle/?gclid=CLeD8J6ViqUCFQlubAodfXN_Qg

And Wikipedia has info on him.
I hope this solves the mystery. Cheers!