Sunday, December 19, 2010

experimenting with liquid pencil...and Broderick Reception


Have you ever heard of Derivan Liquid Pencil? I saw it at "'I've Been Framed" and bought some. It has the consistency of mud. Once on the surface it dries super fast. The label said I could add water, but I just went with it as is. I did add some gesso and some "regular pencil" over the top. It was interesting...painting with graphite.

In other news from the day, I went a little early to help set up Broderick Gallery's Christmas Show. Once the reception got into swing I got to visit with some collectors, artists and of course, our host, George. If you missed the reception, you can still stop by, the show will be up until January 20, 2011. (313 E B Street, Rainier, OR)
Graphite drawing: Celeste Bergin, Intense gaze, liquid pencil, regular pencil and gesso on 9 x 12 paper

8 comments:

Linda Popple said...

I've never heard of Liquid Pencil. It looks like it would be fun to try! Looks like you had a good time with it.

Thanks for sharing the photos of the Christmas Show at Broderick Gallery. Always fun to see!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Looks like it was a nice reception today! Great photos! George looked like he was having fun with all of that beautiful artwork on the walls. Fun!

hwfarber said...

Wonderful drawing, Celeste, and something new to try. I loved City Nightfall--the yellows and darks give it a starless-night feel.

Dean H. said...

Never heard about Liq Pencil. Looks great how you've used it.

But I have used General's Sketch And Wash pencil. A watersoluble, soft, black graphite pencil. May be used wet or dry, or use it dry then apply a water wash. Would probably go great with the Liq Pencil.

Casey Klahn said...

Best wishes on this show.

I just did my first experiments with this medium, and I agree it is like mud. Looks really great on the paper, and it does fine with water washes, too. I still have to check if my brushes survived!

rajasekharan said...

Great work...as usual....

SamArtDog said...

What a very cool show! So George is the one with the outstanding door? Hyperbolic reality, indeed! Thanks for posting all the pictures.

You handled the Liquid Pencil very well. Handsome drawing!

billspaintingmn said...

OK, I've got to give liquid pencil a try...
The reception looks like a fun one!
There had to be a lot of work to put this together.
Celeste, you inspire so much! Merry Christmas!