Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Grisaille.....(stage one)

I routinely use the Alla prima technique, completing an entire paintings in one session without painting in layers. (Alla prima is also known as “direct painting” or “wet on wet” oil painting...it is an Italian term that means at first or all at once). Alla Prima paintings are meant to look spontaneous!

Today, for something different, I painted another Grisaille painting (like the recent teacup painting) but this time I used raw umber, a little Ultramarine blue and white oil paint for the Grisaille...This will be another painting that I will accomplish in two steps-- instead of directly. Stay tuned for stage two!

Grisaille: Celeste Bergin, Creekside, oil on 12x9 canvas panel

13 comments:

Anthony Duce said...

Like the painting a lot.

martinealison said...

Une danse à deux temps...
Le mélange de ces trois couleurs nuancées, dont ce bleu avec des tonalités un peu différentes qui jaillit parcimonieusement et judicieusement dans votre toile me ravit.
Même ainsi cette peinture qui doit se faire en deux temps me plairait...
Bisous

-Don said...

Who knew that a still stream could be so dramatic? Nice!

-Don

rajasekharan said...

marvelous work...

rob ijbema said...

don't touch it!

Ralph said...

I will indeed wait with bated breath to see the end product.

Kim said...

Oh - I love it just the way it is! It's moody and beautiful.

weekend et coup de brosse said...

jolie peinture: Grisaille de saison !
cath

Linda Popple said...

Celeste, this is gorgeous! I can't imagine what it is going to be with color added. Looking forward to seeing the finished painting. :-)

billspaintingmn said...

I was amazed at what you did with the tea cup painting, so now I'm wondering what's Celeste going to do with this?
I'm rivited!

hwfarber said...

This is great but I'll wait for Stage 2. Will Stage 2 be added while Stage 1 is still wet?

SKIZO said...

Celeste
This
Is
Beautiful
see
you

loriann said...

Can't wait to see the glazed painting- beautiful value painting already.