Saturday, January 8, 2011

Charcoal drawing

Sometime ago I watched a DVD by Casey Baugh. In it he showed a "pounce" tool that he made with powdered graphite and a sock. Today I came across the graphite I purchased a long while back and I made the sock thing like Baugh suggests. I "pounced" it onto the paper and tried to get some of the effects Baugh does by adding and subtracting. My drawing totally sucks next to his--but I think I understood some of what he espouses. I need to watch the DVD again, because I believe he did all sorts of things that I didn't...(like alcohol in a sprayer too). The interesting thing was how the pounce tool got alot of graphite down onto the surface in a big hurry. It was all sort of messy--but it could have been even worse. I'll use this pounce method next time I go to Hipbone Studio.

Drawing: Celeste Bergin, Drawing after Casey Baugh, charcoal on 12 x 16 paper





8 comments:

Nika said...

Hi Cleleste,
This method is great for connecting to your subject more directly. I like to cover most of my paper in medium value and find an almost abstract pattern of a person's face when I first start a portrait. That really helps me to see a new face in a fashion that's not rooted in my preconceptions of what an average nose or a forehead is supposed to look like, etc. That way, as I'm finding my lights and darks in that medium field, I'm working on a "map" of a face, rather then a collection of outlines.
I hope I'm making sense here:)

Celeste Bergin said...

yes, Nika, I certainly understand. I like your graphite portraits!

SUSAN RODEN said...

Very interesting Celeste - heard about using the method but never had tried. Really achieved a wonderful tonal too!

AutumnLeaves said...

I am rather intrigued, Celeste! I'd not heard of a pounce or pouncing before (other than as relates to cats). I have always found charcoal messy though, which is why I only use it when I have to for an assignment (when taking art classes). Still, you have created another beauty with your methods, no matter what they be! I love the mood you've captured in her expression too.

SKIZO said...

Beautiful
thank you for sharing

Joan Breckwoldt said...

I think you did an amazing job on this. I admire you for trying so many differnt mediums for your art making, I think there is a lot to be learned from trying out different mediums. I should get back to my pastels for a change, or pen and ink. Not sure I'm quite brave enough to try what you just did. Looking forward to more of your beautiful work and informative posts,
Joan

Anthony Duce said...

Wonderful results for an experiment. I’ve tried this too a few time with mixed results, and it is very messy.

PAMO said...

Beautiful work Celeste! You always have a great mix of values and it brings such energy to your work. I learn so much just from looking at your art.

I have charcoal and was just thinking the other day that it's too messy. My aversion to messes is the one thing that makes me less artistically adventurous. Fortunately, I get to enjoy yours!