Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Detail of an abstract & my good fortune

Today I will be taking my work downtown for installation at Fuller Hall. I have paintings of all sorts of subjects..so the title of my show is: People, Places and Things. Most of the work is representational, but I have two pieces that are abstract with representational components.
I'll show you the whole thing once it is installed.

In "other news" I won a wonderful item on eBay. It is a beautiful, narrow, compact, lightweight metal Winsor Newton paint box, complete with never used paints (in perfect condition). Judging from the typefaces and graphics on the brochure and the paints inside, this kit is somewhere between 35-45 years old. It is a major thrill to get this and it was a bargain. Can you imagine, this lovely pristine set has been tucked away for all these years....just waiting for someone to rescue it from it's solitary confinement. Well, I will use this..You bet I will!

(Top Photo) Painting (Detail), Celeste Bergin, The Path Home, 40x30 Acrylic on gallery wrapped canvas



10 comments:

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

:-) Celeste! I must remember the film "le fabouleus monde de amelie"
do you remember as she find in bath room the old box
belonged to a child many years ago?
for amelie it was as to open the tomb of Tutankhamen
hihihihi
great feeling!

your abstact are wonderfull, powerfull, like a lot this particoulare

AutumnLeaves said...

Awesome eBay find, Celeste!! (I love eBay...a dangerous game for me! LOL) Many blessings at the Fuller show too!

Susan Roux said...

Celeste I wanted to comment on your facebbook painting, but couldn't find where to leave it. I'm new at this... I love your developed work. It's just beautiful. And the title? Maybe I should have you name my paintings from now on. I never come up with anything good like that.

Linda Popple said...

Celeste, I LOVE this abstract! The colors are so compatible and shapes are perfect. I think your abstracts will really make an impact.

How lucky to have found the paint box!

Good luck at your show!!

Shannon said...

Congratulations on your find!

Pam Holnback said...

Sounds like a great show and congratulations on the WN win!

Casey Klahn said...

What a punch that abstract brings! Very great, and I want to see the whole thing, too.

You are lucky to win the ebay item, and we are fortunate to see your art today.

Erika Lee Sears said...

I got a metal Grumbacher one at a garage sales a few years ago. I wondered how old they were.

What kind of varnish do you use? :)

RH Carpenter said...

Definitely something good behind that red door :) Great find on eBay, too.

hw (hallie) farber said...

I love metal boxes. Obviously the original owner was like me--buy neat new sets but continue using the old stuff.

The Path Home detail is beautiful.