Sunday, January 23, 2011

Detail of in-progress painting

I've been paying attention to "close values"...and here I am attempting to make the skin and the background very similar. It was a challenge to rachet her features way down in value to make sense with such pale skin. I also signed some of my smaller paintings today..getting ready to turn in my work (next Tuesday) for my show in Fuller Hall at the First Unitarian Church downtown.

Nearly every time I sign a painting I am grateful to Kitty Wallis who taught me to sign art in an unobtrusive way. Kitty's advice, sign with a color that won't really compete with the overall colors or design. Kitty goes so far as to practically hide her signature, because, she counsels, the painting is "the thing"...far more important than the signature.


(Top photo): Oil painting (in progress), Celeste Bergin, Woman with a fan, oil on gallery wrap canvas 36 x 36

13 comments:

Anthony Duce said...

Experimentation is good. I like it so far…

SamArtDog said...

Though I can see how exquisite this is, how subtle the colors, how gracefully the line gets lost and found again, I still want to ask you why you pursued this paimting, why you chose this particular value exercise. Do tell.

martinealison said...

Cette dernière toile a déjà pris une tournure qui suscite de l'intérêt. L'épaule dénudée offerte à notre regard provoque une grande sensualité et je pense que le fait de vouloir travailler la peau avec des couleurs claires rendra votre personnage plus singulier tout comme cette pose de dos. Bises

Celeste Bergin said...

SamArtDog, this figure might hang next to a landscape in an upcoming show...I was aiming for something subtle even though it is big...it will look compatible with the other painting if things work out.

-Don said...

Another lovely redhead with peaches and cream skin... I love it! The subtleties work wonderfully.

I agree about signatures. Yours is cool...

-Don

AutumnLeaves said...

Oh she is so very lovely! Reminds me a bit of a cameo (I love cameos). Love the way you've done your signature, Celeste.

RH Carpenter said...

What a beautiful start - the colors in the face reflecting the turquoise dress and a hint of blush are perfect. I've seen people sign paintings in all different ways, sometimes hidden, sometimes more important and the first thing you see! I tend to agree to make it unobtrusive with a complimentary color.

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

I like this so much! Experimets are always good

hw (hallie) farber said...

The redhead is on her way to being a beauty of a painting. Great signature.

Jane said...

Very pretty, very soft, beautiful light. How can it be in progress??

PAMO said...

I love your signature! It's fantastic! And your painting is another beauty. I love how you experiment and study. It always shows in the quality of your work.

Chris said...

luminescent-especially like the lights on the hair

Linda Popple said...

Beautiful painting - so soft. Love it!