Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hipbone Field Guide to the Figure #1

Today was the first session of Hipbone's Field Guide to the Figure Series. I've been to a couple of these individual sessions in the past...this time I'm enrolled in the whole series of 6. I like how thorough Jeff Burke is..he doesn't waste any time and we get plenty of time to practice (draw) the specifics that he lectures about. Today's lecture was largely about the gender differences often seen in the skull. We started with a drawing of Jeff and then compared him to the female model.
I always seem to have trouble with my monovision contacts in the beginning of any figure session, but as time goes on I usually "acclimate". When the session was over, a little after 5 pm, I couldn't believe how dramatically dark and rainy it was outside (scroll down for the photo)! I'll return for session #2 in two weeks. I learned a lot in session#1. How did you spend your day....did you do anything artful?































Photos: 1 (Top): Drawing, Celeste Bergin, Jeff Burke, pencil on 12 x 16 paper
2. Drawing, Celeste Bergin, Female model, pencil on 12 x 16 paper
3. Inside Hipbone Studio
4. Drawing, Celeste Bergin, Female model II, pen on 12 x 16 paper
5. Outside Hipbone Studio (side entrance) 5pm

9 comments:

Linda Popple said...

What a great opportunity! I clicked on the Hipbone link and it looks like a fantastic space.

I especially like your pen and ink drawing. Really nice, Celeste!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Nice! I can see that this is Jeff! And the female is beautifully done, too, with the differences between the bone structures of male and female models are clear! Nice job with your first class. I'm looking forward to what comes next! Kvan

Marcia Vander Schaaf said...

Beautiful form in these sketches! The skin seems to just fold over the bones!Lesson well learned! ...and yes it did rain all afternoon!

Tim Robinson said...

Great sketches!

AutumnLeaves said...

I always have loved Portland and the photos just make my long for my beloved PNW. Anyway, Celeste, the head sketches are fabulous and I love the the profile with the addition of ink or watercolors or whatever medium you've added. It looks so...arty! LOL Beautiful work, as always.

hw (hallie) farber said...

Good drawings, especially Female Model II. Portland must be an exciting city for artists.

Dean H. said...

I esp. like drawing #4 for the wash and ink line!
I took a peek at your recent posts...you sure are busy and cover a lot of ground! Excellent blogging!

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Before I read your post I saw the photos and said 'that looks like Jeff Burke'. I always wished I had taken some of the offered classes ....

Love the shading on the woman.

SKIZO said...

Excellent
work
thank you for sharing