Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Day..........and how was yours??

While I was sorting through my painting inventory I came across this painting that I did in Elio Camacho's still life workshop a while back. By the third day of the workshop Elio's students had grown a little weary of that turquoise bowl/platter....but now, with time and distance behind this, I'm glad that everything was the color it was. Elio is going to be in Oregon on January 31, giving a demonstration at the Kerby Building. If it is at all doable...go see Elio paint! Here is a link to find out more.

I can report that I did something artful today (even though I missed out on the regular Tuesday sketch meeting). I did a sketch of Edward Hopper's etching called "Catboat". It was fun to think of what Hopper must've been trying to emphasize and/or downplay in "Catboat".

Top Photo: Painting, Celeste Bergin, Still life exercise in Elio's workshop, oil on 16 x 20 stretched canvas
Bottom Photo: sketch, Celeste Bergin, After Edward Hooper, charcoal on 14 x 11 paper

11 comments:

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

I always enjoy seeing what you've painted but today I especially enjoyed seeing how you handled the oranges since I recently attempted them. Great job ... something for me to strive for.

Kathy said...

Beautiful sketch!! I love the blue in your painting and the brushwork. Your creative journey is so inspiring.

PAMO said...

Gorgeous! I love the turquoise and orange. This still life seems more realistic than some of your work- but still with great energy.
Your sketch is wonderful! I love how you think.
My day was good too- thanks for asking.

-Don said...

I could sit here and look at that vase for hours. Wow. Love your Hopper study and your thoughts from the creative process. Cool.

-Don

AutumnLeaves said...

I think that is one lovely painting, Celeste and that shiny table top is perfection. I am amazed at the looseness yet perfect lines of your sketch too. I want to be an artist when I grow up. Sigh...

Ralph said...

I so love this painting Celeste and thanks again for your marvellous words on my blog

RH Carpenter said...

The colors in this are what brought me over to see more this morning. And the sketch: the eye knows a good composition and this one definitely is!

. said...

Im in love!!! This painting has all the colours I really love (Orange, turquise, greens..)
Wonderful work, would look very good in my kitchen : )

But I have ask, what is the picture to the left of this one? It has some reds in it (one of my other favourite colours)?

Jane said...

I really like this Spring painting with all these gorgeous bold colors, and all that light coming from the side . Very well done. As my mother always said." You can't see the wood because of all the trees." In your case , you put a beautiful painting aside, because you didn't "see" it anymore.

Jani Lori said...

I am a sucker for tourqoise. Painting is appealing and as always your posts are interesting and imformative. Good day for me too, Thanks!

hw (hallie) farber said...

Those colors look great on this cold day.

Thanks for giving me a reason to copy--channeling the artist. You make art fun and inspire us--amazing work.