Saturday, February 12, 2011

Hipbone Field Guide to the Figure session #3 AND City of Keizer Mayor's Gala

Today was the 3rd session of Hipbone's Field Guide to the Figure Series. Jeff Burke's lecture was about "facial expression". We had a wonderful model, an actor who had to hold deeply expressive faces for long periods of time. The most compelling pose was his "sad face".

I had to leave Hipbone a little early so that I could get to The Mayor's Invitational Gala in Keizer. Once there, I received a great surprise, the Third Place prize for my submitted painting Summer Fields. My painting (and all others accepted) are on display for one full year in the beautiful Keizer Civic Building that houses Keizer's Municipal court, City Hall and the Police Department.

All in all a good day (and decidedly "happier" than today's drawing). I hope you had an artful day too!

(Top Photo): Drawing: Celeste Bergin, Sad man, charcoal on 16x20 paper
Bottom Photos 1: Rainy night; Keizer Civic Building, 2: Me & Robert Selby, 3: Mayor Lore Christopher presenting ribbon, 4: Umbrellas in the foyer, 5: Keizer Civic Center lobby





17 comments:

Jane said...

You certainly deserved it Celeste, the expression of his face is so real..very very well done. Have a nice Sunday.

AutumnLeaves said...

Congrats, Celeste! You so deserve it, though I personally would have given you first place! Anyway, I am sitting amazed at the few lines I actually see in your portrait. You've accomplished a gorgeous portrait with by and large shading. I'm awed.

billspaintingmn said...

Sounds like an eventful evening! Congratulations Celeste!

Linda Popple said...

Congratulations, Celeste!! That really is fantastic!!

Love your drawing!

rajasekharan said...

WELL DONE...GREAT

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

He's a very sad man! You've beautifully captured the expression and the sag of sadness!

Congrats on the ribbon! Yay!

Dave Starr said...

Your drawing is confident. Very well done!
I did have a good day, thanks (working on sculpture). Congratulations on your recognition, it's not a surprise to me.

Celeste Bergin said...

THANKS so much for the kudos and comments, Jane, Sherry, bill, Linda, raja, Kvan & Dave! I sincerely appreciate it!:)

Clarification: I didn't win a prize for the sad man drawing. I received the prize for my painting submission to the Mayor's invitational.

You're so good to drop by! I'll be checking to see what YOU are doing today :)

Dean H. said...

The sad face drawing is a happy achievement...nicely done,Celeste!
A well deserved congratulations to ya for the invitational award!
Happy Valentine's Day!!

Joan Breckwoldt said...

Congratulations! I love the photo of you holding the ribbon.
This portrait sketch is wonderful, you have captured so much with your graceful lines.
Joan

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Glad to know Sovek's work is still resonating with you. Congratulation on your award. Your work is always changing, growing, stretching .... and fascinating.

I like seeing the confident marks made with your charcoal. Very well done.

SamArtDog said...

Congrats for your prize! The pics are fun; you're obviously cracking them up in #3, and good job for not missing those beauty brellies!

Carrie H. said...

Well, I didn't realize you received the award till just now. Congratulations - and it's on display for a year so you don't have to pick it up for a while; plenty of time for someone to decide to buy it. Yeah, I think that's a good deal!

Tim Robinson said...

Congratulations!

Living In Art said...

you go, Celeste

Mary Jane said...

Congratulations Celeste! I love that painting. It IS a winner and so glad to see your happiness today.

RH Carpenter said...

Congratulations!!