Saturday, February 26, 2011

Hipbone Field Guide to the Figure session #4... AND I ♥ Portland

Today was the 4th session of Hipbone's Field Guide to the Figure Series. Jeff Burke's lecture was about "Hands: landmarks, structure & form". There is a reason we often see neglected hands in drawings/paintings...drawing hands is no walk in the park! It was a great workshop and 2 weeks from now I'll be going to the 5th session: "Hands: Expression".

When I left Hipbone I drove down Glisan Street. I photographed this house (below) that has a yard filled with crockery..(all manner of pots, birdbaths, concrete mushrooms and such). This is in the middle of a very conventional neighborhood. I thought I'd share it with you along with a video of "Portlandia" (that pokes good natured fun at Portland's quirkiness). If you watch it to the end you'll note that Fred Armisen has nice hands.

(Top photo) Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Palm 1, pencil on 16 x 20 paper
Bottom photos: Photo 2, Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Hand 2, pencil on 16 x 20 paper, Photo 3, Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Hand 3, pencil on 16 x 20 paper, Photo 4, House in Laurelhurst (click to enlarge)





16 comments:

KEH said...

HEY -- awesome post great sketches super realistic + lifelike ! I just wanted to stop buy and let you know that I reference you awesome blog (and wanted to upload an screen shot of my favorite artists google reader folder - which features your hipbone field guide image if thats ok?!?

Celeste Bergin said...

KEH, the world is your Oyster. Thanks for asking :)

Anthony Duce said...

Nice hands. I Like the sketches.

hw (hallie) farber said...

Great hands--I like them all. Yesterday's painting was mysterious. You post faster than I can comment.

Dan Kent said...

Great hands. What on earth is that video?! lol - bizarre, very funny!

Dave Starr said...

Really good hand drawings. I am one who avoids hands and feet at all costs. Should I come to Portland to take these sessions? I keep threatening.

Dave Starr said...

I watched your Portlandia clip. In a word. WRY

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Great hands! It's great to hear and see how much you've enjoyed Jeff's classes!

Kathy said...

Oops! I forgot to typr in the word verification so I think my comment got lost. Here goes again:

Your rendering of hands is masterful! Along with feet, they are the most complex part of the body and a real challenge for artists to represent in 2-D. You've done it!! Thanks for the views of Portland. I've never been there and now want to.

AutumnLeaves said...

Celeste, thanks for sharing that video. I actually cackled out loud and am still giggling as I type. I must say that the yard of that beautiful home would drive me bonkers. I am such a non-clutter freak! LOLOL Your hand drawings are perfection! And if those are your hands, they are so beautifully shaped!!

Celeste Bergin said...

KEH, Anthony, Hallie, Dan, Dave, Kvan, Kathy & Sherry...thanks! Appreciate your stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. (Sherry, these hands belong to the model that was part of the session. The model had to hold these poses for 25-30 minutes). :)

martinealison said...

Le travail des mains est toujours très passionnant pour moi. Il reflète l'âme de l'individu, sa culture, son métier. Les mains dévoilent plus que des mots... Elles sont des révélations... Ne dit-on pas que les italiens parlent avec leurs mains!!?... elles sont le prolongement de la pensée. j'ai peut-être trop de pensées!...
Vos croquis sont exquis ma chère Céleste.
Un grand merci pour votre passage sur mon blog. Bises

. said...

Great hand sketches, and you're so right they are not an easy subject to draw... I have been drawing them again too and posted a few... Love your last posts (so many wonderful paintings).

. said...

Love your hands, they are great sketches... And you are so right, hands are a difficult subject to draw... I have been drawing hands again too (posted a few), something I had to freshen up on (been avoiding them a bit too much).

Great post!!

Kim said...

Okay - those are killer hands Celeste! I just love the top one. Beautiful structural drawing!

Foxeni said...

Hands have always fascinated me. Not everyone can capture the simple beauty in a hand but you've certainly done it.