Thursday, February 17, 2011

Reading and sketching, sketching and reading


While I was out today I read a good portion of two books, Color for Painters (by Al Gury) and Picasso's Picassos (by David Douglas Duncan). A solid chunk of time with good books is a pleasure! I also had the opportunity to sketch too. I always keep a sketchbook in my tote bag and there is one located wherever I sit at home. Well, what are you reading these days...and what are you sketching?

(Top Photo) Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Figure from memory, pencil on 6 x 9 paper (Bottom) Photo 2: Gesture sketch, Photo 3: Today's books, Photo 4: Container of sketch things



7 comments:

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

this is very important too reading and scketching

AutumnLeaves said...

Awesome work on those sketches, Celeste. I wonder why my figure sketches never look quite like these?? LOL Sounds like you had an awesome day!

Ralph said...

My c family bought me a kindle for christmas so I am reading such a variety of books and in places I never read before. Today reading the scrip for Death of a Salesman bfore goin to see it performed at teh theatre tomorrow night.

Linda Popple said...

Love your gesture drawings! I just bought Color for Painters by Al Gury and Colour by Edith Anderson Feisner, but haven't begun reading them yet. I've only paged through and they both look great. I am reading Modigliani & The Artists of Montparnasse by Kenneth Wayne. I love Modigliani and periodically pull out a book a look at this work. There are other artists I really like, too, and have too many books to list!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Your sketches have a lot of energy! It's great that you have sketching stuff at the ready and I'm sure it contributes to many unwasted moments of artmaking.

I'm reading "Flying Colours", a biography about Canadian plein air artist and pilot Toni Onley.

Casey Klahn said...

esp. gestures. Great work.

Well blogged!

Chris said...

i'm reading 2 books by Charles Sovek per your recommendation and now I have more recommendations per your comment section.