Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Work-in-progress & Field Trip to Salem

Today we went to Salem to see the Henk Pander Solo show at the Hallie Ford Museum of Art.
I can't even begin to tell you how wowed I was. It's impossible, really. I am making plans to return on March 27th, because Henk will be there to talk about the art. I wasn't supposed to take photos, but I took a few before I realized that. (Scroll down for slideshow) I bought the catalog as we left.... of course!

After seeing the Pander exhibit we stopped at the Mission Mill Museum. We meant to run through really quickly, but instead a docent took us around (for a private tour). She explained the entire woolen mill to us and it was fascinating! We even got to visit with some women who meet every week to make things in the "loom room".

The painting above is one I've been working on off and on for weeks. I'm putting it up in this blog post, because, though it is no Henk Pander painting, it reminds me a little of his work. It started out in one direction, but it is winding up sort of dark and strange. It is the dark "intense" and strange that is so heartstoppingly beautiful in Henk Pander's work.....(and...... remind me to tell you an "inside story" about him sometime).

Top Photo: (Detail) Celeste Bergin, No Parking, oil on 36x48 gallery wrapped canvas



11 comments:

martinealison said...

Les différentes excursions que vous avez faites m'auraient beaucoup intéressée... j'ai hâte d'en savoir davantage sur ce peintre. Il a peint des toiles grandioses.
En ce qui concerne la visite du moulin, cela devait être tout aussi passionnant. Le travail du tissage me ramène toujours à mon enfance.
Mes grand-parents avaient des métiers à tisser. A l'époque la passementerie était une des gloires de la région partagée avec celle de la soie. J'adorais errer dans les ateliers... et admirer ces bobines de fil aux multitudes couleurs...
ce matin vous aurez réussi à me tirer une petite larme de nostalgie...
Il faut aussi tout de même que je dise quelque chose sur votre oeuvre en cours!...
Le stationnement est peut-être interdit mais je me suis autorisée un arrêt. Je peux vous dire que j'apprécie cette touche audacieuse que celle de toutes ces lumières qui rendent votre peinture éblouissante à ce stade de travail.
Gros bisous à vous.

Celeste Bergin said...

martinealison wrote:

Different excursions that you made ​​would have made me very interested ... I look forward to learning more about this painter. He painted grandiose paintings.
Regarding the visit of the mill, it should be equally exciting. The work of weaving always brings me back to my childhood.
My grandparents had looms. At the time the trimmings was one of the glories of the region shared with the silk. I loved wandering the shops ... and admire the yarn colors to multitudes ...
This morning you will have managed to pull me a little tear of nostalgia ...
It is also still want me to say something about your work in progress! ...
Parking may be prohibited, but I allowed myself a stop. I can tell you that I appreciate the bold touches than any of those lights that make your painting dazzling at this stage of work.
Big kisses to you.

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks so much martinealison...the looms and threads made me nostalgic too, because my Mother loved making things with beautiful fabrics. It was a wonderful day all around. Thanks for the comment!

Dave Starr said...

Interesting day you had.
Thanks for letting me tag along.
When are you going to finish that painting?

-Don said...

I've been in awe of this painting since I saw you post it in its earlier stages. I even went to it several times as I was working on ideas for "The Door to the Sky" painting I did for David's book. I know what I did looks nothing like this, but it was definitely an inspiration. I can't wait to see the whole thing when it's finished.

-Don

AutumnLeaves said...

I think the art is beautiful, Celeste. It has a surrealistic feel to it, kind of like the Twilight Zone...Don't ask me why, but is not so abstract but really is something that I am enjoying making up a story to go along with it. I love it!

Funny you mention "looms" as I just bought my second, a floor loom, that I pick up this weekend. I can't wait to use it! (My daughter wants a woven baby blanket similar to the one I made for my niece, but wants it wider. My rigid heddle loom isn't quite wide enough and this gave me a great opportunity to search for a good buy on a used floor loom. Color me excited!)

Susan Roux said...

Nice post. I look forward to seeing this painting completed. Do you think the direction will change again after seeing Henk's work?

weekend et coup de brosse said...

Merveilleux travail, toujours surprenante , votre peinture est un vrai épanouissement et enrichissement pour ceux qui la découvre, votre excursion devait être des plus agréable, merci pour ce diaporama!

Dean H. said...

The darks in this painting are very commanding as they are in Hank Pander's works. Plus the colors are very strong. Great work, Celeste.

PAMO said...

I love this work in progress Celeste. It is beautiful. Your trip sounds grand!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Your painting is so strong! It has a lot in common with Pander's colorful work and dark appeal.