Sunday, March 27, 2011

My unfinished smeared painting and Randy & JJ


Last week after my life painting session I wrote about how my 2nd painting got smeared when my backpack apparently rolled over it in the back seat. (Some people wisely use wet canvas carriers just to avoid this sort of thing). I blogged that I might fix it, but I looked at it again tonight and thought "never mind. It feels like it should be left this way". And with any luck I will get to paint this model again. I thought I'd post the painting tonight, even though smeared, because that braid and the model's classic good looks show well.. despite the mishap.

 In other news, I also want to share a photo of my neighbor Randy and his "new" dog "JJ". It seems that someone in Randy's family (who lives across town) had adopted JJ, but recently elected to return him to the animal shelter. It wasn't that JJ had done anything wrong, it was just because it was realized that the time wasn't all together right to have a pet. Randy had met JJ and when he learned all this....he went directly to the shelter and brought JJ home to his OWN house! Randy hasn't had a pet in many years. Well, all that is pretty heartwarming... don't you think?

(Top photo) Unfinished Painting: Celeste Bergin, Helga lookalike, oil on 9x12 canvas panel
(Bottom photo) Randy & adopted (twice) JJ

14 comments:

Dan Kent said...

Actually the smears make it look like she is turning her head. This was neat to see.

Love pictures of owners and their dogs. Hurray for your neighbor! And for JJ too.

AutumnLeaves said...

So glad that JJ got a forever home with your neighbor Randy. JJ looks like she might have some spaniel in her...??? Anyway, Celeste, I love the portrait of the model, smeared and otherwise. There is such a dreamy feel to this and the slight smear only adds to that...a rather ethereal sense, or maybe elusive is a better term...

Dave Starr said...

I like the painting. She is heroic looking. Shouldn't you go back in and finish her? Doubt that I could leave JJ after meeting him either.

Sadami said...

Dear Celeste,
Oil painting is very interesting for me, a watercolorist. Your drawing skils & handling values are salient. Thank you for sharing techniques and the heart warming story with us.
Cheers, Sadami

jgr said...

I like the smears-she is lovely. Big congrats to your neighbor and JJ. That is SO sweet!

Candace X. Moore said...

Hey, Celeste. Eye-catching portrait. The perspective is really interesting, and you've captured the character of this model. I think it helps sometimes to smear things together, sort of integrates the subject into it's environment. It looks good from here.

Also, I borrowed a book by Dan McCaw from my brother. I remember you mentioning him once. Whoa, really good book. Unfortunately out of print and very pricey. Good recommendation.

SKIZO said...

Beautiful
work
thank you for sharing:)

RH Carpenter said...

It looks like your model quickly turned away from you - I like the feeling of motion in the painting. It's better that people know they can't have a dog (just yet, at this home, etc.) than keep JJ and just ignore her so good for JJ and your neighbor who now has a new dog :)

hw (hallie) farber said...

I thought "Helga" when I saw this on my sidebar. Lucky JJ--adopted twice--and lucky neighbor (they found each other).

Caio Fern said...

hello beautiful lady !!!
i really like this classical aproach.... this work is not only very good but very inspiring.

kiss.

PAMO said...

Yep- that smear works! Good call keeping it. A beautiful painting.

Yeah to Randy and JJ! It looks like they've already bonded and yes, it is very heart warming! Thanks for sharing.

You new icon looks great!

Chris said...

going for a walk in the rain...that's the best. Course, you do live in Oregon so that's pretty common. Great post. I dropped my painting in mulch last week and chose not to post. Next time I'll rethink that. Canvas carriers?

Mary Rochelle said...

Happy accident as Bob Ross used to say! It truly is quite lovely, Celeste and I also appreciate JJ's story.

Linda Popple said...

I love your painting with the smear! She is beautifully painted and beautifully smeared!! :-)

JJ looks happy with his new owner!