Sunday, March 20, 2011

Painting over an old painting

Here I go again..."repurposing" an old panel*. I've painted over an old failed cityscape.
These are the steps. (See photos below left to right)
1. I placed the old painting upside down on my easel.
2. Some darkest darks are "scrubbed in"
3. I Located and placed the brightest spots of color
4. The container and background were then developed by more spots/areas of mid-tones
5. More "chunks" of color were added (with an awareness of color temperatures)
6. Finally, smaller details were added and the painting is done!
* When I paint over the old panels it's because it is fun and easy to see values on a panel that already has a lot of tone on it. You should try it...you'll be surprised!

Painting: Celeste Bergin, To Cheer You, oil on 9 x 12 canvas panel







14 comments:

graziano tessarolo said...

Bello!

AutumnLeaves said...

A beautiful blur of flowers, Celeste. Exactly how I like my spring!

Sonya Johnson said...

That's impressive! I've just been putting a layer of alkyd primer over my repurposed paintings, but I'll have to try your technique.

Dave Starr said...

I could try it, but I doubt strongly that it would look any good. I don't see why you don't get confused by the old image. Bold strong color & brushwork in this. Will it get a frame?

Frank Zweegers said...

Beautiful works.

Caio Fern said...

i love so much when you show the process of your "painting over an old painting" ....
really , it is magic to me :D
and this work got very good.
I liked the "MOST IMPORTAT FLOWER painting too, i didn't see that before.

hugs

Carrie H. said...

Pure Pleasant Painterly patterns!

Dean H. said...

Thanks for sharing your process, Celeste!
A really successful painting!
A great job of "reclaiming the city"!

Ralph said...

I paint over paintings often but never with the same success as you manage. This painting is beautiful so frre and loose and full of emaotion.

Gary Keimig said...

Way to go. I don't know how doing this to paintings works archivally but I and many I know do the same.

Sadami said...

Dear Celeste,
Thank you for visiting my blog. Your lively color use baded on simplified value is wonderful. Full of sense of humor and witty writing is joy to read! Keep painting and make us happy.
Kind regards, Sadami

Carol King said...

Very cool! Thanks for showing your steps. I really like the final product.

martinealison said...

La magie de la peinture et de la magicienne opèrent pleinement dans cette oeuvre...
Bisous

SamArtDog said...

Showing this reclamation process is so valuable, but squeezing lemonade out of some of my lemons is not as sweet as you make it look. But we can all keep trying.