Saturday, March 5, 2011

Saturday!

Today I swung by to see my art friends Marcia Vander Schaaf and Stephanie Cissna who are participating in the SE Art Walk. It was great fun to visit with them before heading off to the Janovec Gallery. Sadly, I learned yesterday that Madeline Janovec passed away. The March show at her Gallery was meant to be a benefit to help with her medical expenses. Proceeds from purchases will now also go toward a book about Maddie's art and life. I did my part (with pleasure) by purchasing a wonderful black stone necklace (crafted by Madeline herself). I will very much treasure it! Even though Madeline was ill, her passing was somewhat unexpected....and despite this, her friends made the gallery feel very happy today instead of sad. You can see photos of my day in the slide show below.

Hey about you...did you have a good Saturday?

Painting: Celeste Bergin, Saturday's Flowers, oil on 9 x 12 canvas panel

14 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

That is sad news!

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
thank you for sharing nice memories and a nice neckless for you!

Dave Starr said...

Your flower painting is sparkly. It is from life?
I'm really sorry to read about Madeline Janovec. I met her several times a long time ago. She was one-of-a-kind. What will happen to her Gallery?

Becky Joy said...

Nice to have the necklace as a remembrance and a nice one. I love, love, love this painting.Wow!

hw (hallie) farber said...

I'm sorry, Celeste, about your friend. Beautiful flowers.

William Cook said...

Hi Celeste--Those are some beautiful flowers! Typical great job. Deepest sympathies for the loss of your friend. As for my Saturday, I went to dinner at 4:00with my apartment room mate (from college days). Got home at 11:00. Major catching up going on. Best regards, \\///\

AutumnLeaves said...

The photos are lovely, Celeste. I love your flower bouquet. I am so sorry to hear of the art world's loss too. Her jewelry pieces are lovely and your choice my favorite of those you've shown.

PAMO said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Madeline. Clearly, she was loved.
A beautiful tribute she received.
Your flowers are gorgeous.

SUSAN RODEN said...

Your painting is a gift in itself.
Wonderful support and tribute Celeste.

Sherrie Russ Levine said...

Very nice Celeste!

Kim said...

Beautiful, dappled light...

Linda Popple said...

Beautiful flower painting.

Thanks for sharing your photos. The day was a wonderful tribute to a much loved artist.

Candace X. Moore said...

Celeste, Thanks for posting this. I can tell from the pictures that Ms Janovec lead a very authentic life. Difficult to loose someone like that, but nice to have a piece of jewelry she made. It will keep you close.

DynamiteJ said...

Well i'm sorry because of your friend, but despite that i have to say that your painting is beautiful and full of life :) nice colors !