Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Life painting session --"S(2)"

Today our model held a violin and was dressed like a street musician. We've had this model before;  she has remarkable stamina for the long pose and she never moves a muscle. She looked very Oregonian in her olive drab clothes. Half way through this painting I started laughing (to myself, of course), because it dawned on me how much my painting looked like a foot soldier holding a gun. She might have seemed less militaristic if the clothing were a different color, but it was what it was, and I "soldiered on" (pun intended).
 I didn't finish my 2nd painting (below), but it was a good start and I might use it for reference together with some photos that I took today.

(Top photo) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Seated figure, oil on 9x12 stretched canvas
(Bottom photo) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Unfinished portrait, oil on 9 x 12 stretched canvas

10 comments:

Anthony Duce said...

Very good studies. I like the look.

Carrie H. said...

I think you have done her justice. love the portrait start too. You could use the full figure as a reference for a gun toting soldier if you wanted.

Sharon Wright said...

Lovely work, those hands are just brilliant!

AutumnLeaves said...

I wonder if she plays in reality? I love her pose and her facial expression. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is maybe some regalness, some haughtiness...So unique and so well done, Celeste!

hw (hallie) farber said...

From my sidebar I thought it was a soldier and that the braids were suspenders. Both are great--you never seem to miss.

L.W.Roth, said...

I think the unfinished head is finished. There's something left to imagination that I like--it has mystery. The full figure has poetry as well. Lovely work.

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

I had to laugh when I read that your painting "looked like a foot soldier holding a gun". I wouldn't have thought that had you not mentioned it. It really is nice and I can see you have benefited from all your figure studies.

Caio Fern said...

wonderful.
remembers me Giacometti.

Casey Klahn said...

She is a striking model! Perhaps she's thinking of playing violin in the revolution! Har har.

Seriously, your ability to render a figure, but make the composition the most important part, is something I admire. You rock.

Also, I favor the portrait. Not just modeled, but organized and painted.

SamArtDog said...

What I like is how very efficient your brushstrokes are. Looking close up at these amazing hands, I see how few there are. Amazing!