Friday, April 15, 2011

"Painting over"....from no-drama...... to drama

It's so fun to paint over old paintings. I never get tired of it. The painting I selected to be obliterated is from an old life painting session. The model (in photo 1 below) was dressed like an arctic playboy bunny, which should have been verrrry interesting, but I struggled with the confused un-directed light.  For this paint-over I had resolve to be much more deliberate about light and shadow. I used a photo reference where the figure was lit from below.  I think I can make some corrections and heighten the drama even more, but meanwhile I'll count this a successful exercise.

(Top photo) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Nightshirt, oil on 16x20 stretched canvas
The Steps:
Step 1: I smeared Liquin all over the old image 

Step 2: I turned the canvas upside down and massed in the new overall shape 
Step 3: This shows the placement of major shapes paying attention to "new" values. 
Step 4: Refinement of features 

Step 5: More shapes added with "directed" dramatic light
 
Step 6: Final touches added...Complete!

14 comments:

-Don said...

Successful indeed, Celeste! You are just too cool for words...

-Don

GretaMichelle Joachim said...

What was the liquin for Celeste?

AutumnLeaves said...

Always love seeing how you work, Celeste. I also love that light from below. It has a gorgeous effect on her face. She looks...coy! Beautiful job, as always!

SamArtDog said...

You again make recycling a very wise choice. I just did it, too; it's very freeing to start a new painting on an old canvas,

Casey Klahn said...

This amount of fun should be illegal.

The icon sends one right over, and the dramatic lighting is what does it.

Gillian said...

Well I'm still at the stage when every painting needs this treatment so thank you for the Liquin tip - I assume that is to provide a key for the fresh paint?

This looks as if it was a tricky subject but you nailed it! x

Virginia Floyd said...

Thanks for sharing your process. The lighting in the new portrait is really well done! Good job.

hw (hallie) farber said...

I believe she's saying, "Follow me." The painting glows.

Jan Yates, SCA, Canada said...

Puts me in mind of John Singer Sargent's child portraits--there is 1 with 2 children in a night garden with lilies-the gorgeous light, brushwork and presence are very similar (minus the other child & lilies)
i love working over old paintings (with no limit of 'old' paintings to work over) -all that texture and colour--and also putting medium on my canvas to work wet into wet-didn't know many artists do that..

Jani Lori said...

Drama indeed! Wonderful!

Joan Breckwoldt said...

I would say this was very succesful! It's those basics that I always need reminding of, like keeping the lights light and the darks dark. Thank you for this reminder with your beautiful painting.
Joan

Dan Kent said...

I love this painting - the face is phenomenal, and your use of light masterful!

Celeste Bergin said...

Don, GretaMichelle, Sherry, SamArtDog, Casey, Gillian, Virginia, Hallie, Jan, Jani, Joan & Dan....thanks so much for visiting and commenting! GretaMichelle, the liquin is just to get a wet-in-wet feel from the start. I have painted over paintings without it and I just always like either liquin or Galykd lite smeared around to get a good start.

Linda Popple said...

Soooo interesting! Thanks for sharing your process.