3 hours ago
Friday, April 8, 2011
Something....completely different (for fun!)
One of the nice things about oil paint is that it will adhere to pretty much any surface, as long as the surface is primed. So, here are the steps for "my" cigar box (photos below):
1. I applied acrylic gesso to the box (I probably should have given it several coats, but this is an experiment and just only did one).
2. I sketched directly onto the box with charcoal and fixed it with spray fixative
3. I painted the darkest darks
4. Then the lightest lights were placed
5. The mid tones came next, paying attention to the light source
Aside from the preliminary drawing with charcoal, this was just like painting any painting for me. It was fun and I enjoy the "dimensionality" of it.