Sunday, April 3, 2011

Textured ground

Painters know that when I say "textured ground" I am describing the surface of my panel that was prepared with something to make the surface un-smooth before I painted on it. Non-painters may just look at my landscape and say: "yes, the ground looks grassy". I guess this makes the word ground a polyseme.

Today's painting was an experiment with Gamblin oil ground and a paper towel dragged through it while wet for the extra texture.  I waited a week before painting on it to ensure that it was dry.  I just discovered this very nice explanation of oil ground by our friend Scott Gellatly of Gamblin. Click on his photo below and you'll go to his informative video about how to properly apply Gamblin oil ground (with mild texture).

(Top Photo) Painting, Celeste Bergin, Creekside, oil on textured 8x8 canvas panel
(Bottom Photo) Painter and Gamblin expert Scott Gellatly (click on photo)

15 comments:

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
nice experiment. Scott is a super nice guy and a great painter I may add. Always so helpful . I learned a thing or two from him to!
Happy painting

Carol Lee Beckx said...

Great textures in your painting - and thanks for the link on preparing a ground.

AutumnLeaves said...

Oh my! This is simply a gorgeous landscape, Celeste. You have my favorite palette here and those greens are so rich, I just want to roll around in those grasses. Such a delightful piece!!

hw (hallie) farber said...

This is just so beautiful. I'll check out the link but I don't think it will magically make me into a painter. The magic is Celeste.

Susan Roux said...

Celeste, this really worked well for you. I love what you did with the water. The light and colors in it draws me in.

SamArtDog said...

What a dreamy look. Rainy-ish.

Obviously, I can use your vocabulary lessons.

Harry Kent said...

A great post, Celeste. Most informative. And it oil ground works. I mean, look at that stunning landscape!

Rachel Harvey said...

love your "ground." say that often enough and it doesn't sound like a word anymore. :)

B Boylan said...

Nice 'foofing around' with the Gamblin! This piece just sings out springtime in Oregon.

Cindy Michaud said...

Very rich! thanks for sharing, I'll try this sometime soon. Love that you experiment.

Dan Kent said...

Rich is the right word. Love the foreground. Fun that you have a textured ground - never seen you do that before! And I learned a new word too.

martinealison said...

Très beau cheminement... merci de nous faire partager de tels moments...
Bisous

rajasekharan said...

Beautiful work...excellent strokes...

Dean H. said...

I really like your use of foreground darks in this one, Celeste!
I love working on a textured surface.

loriann said...

Celeste, This painting has a wonderful air of Springtime. The softness in the distance matched by the texture in the foreground feels good. Thanks for the link too.