Sunday, May 29, 2011

Painting over an old painting


It's been awhile since I've painted over an old painting. I will never run out of supports doing this. I just grab whatever is on top of my "experiments and failure" stack. (Don't ask me how many stacks like that I have..haha). Today it is my Deibenkorn experiment that will be "repurposed". Paint-over "recipe"steps below:

1. Put the thing on a different angle from how you painted it so you don't "see it"

2. Sketch the overall composition and add the "most obvious" colors

3. Throw in a neutral background painting into the objects a little so you don't get that "cut out" appearance

4. Continue to resolve shapes and for the purposes of this experiment, keep the values to just three.

6. Add and strengthen shadows and highlights ...finished!

(Top Photo) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Pottery & Apples, oil on 11 x 14 stretched canvas

15 comments:

Sadami said...

Ah, Celeste,
You're multi-artist and in a "first class." This re-use is available for watercolourists...I use the otherside of work!
Cheers, Sadami

Dan Kent said...

Well, I've seen you do this many times and it is always fascinating. Thank you for the instructions this time. This, to me, is a painting of reflections. I love the reflections and the coppery hue in the foreground.

Jane said...

I love when you do the recycling, and this painting is great!

Gillian said...

As a newcomer to oils I have a growing stack of failures to 'repurpose' so thank you for that tip about turning the painting so you don't 'see it'.

You've turned it into something very special. x

-Don said...

Oh, yeah! This is one great job of repurposing. You now have one less canvas in your "E & F" stack, because this is obviously no failure. I'd call it a smashing success!

-Don

Colleen said...

You didn't even need to gesso it! Great! I would like to repaint over a few of mine, I just hope that the paint isn't too thick underneath.

Susan Roux said...

It always make me laugh to see how you do this. Someday, I've got to give it a try. God knows we all have some of those paintings...

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks, Sadami, Dan, Jane, Gillian, Don, Colleen and Susan! Appreciate your comments! :)

Mary Jane said...

Your post gives me courage to take out all my failed acrylics to paint over them. You did such a lovely job with this one. Very fine as always.

Dean H. said...

Very good painting, Celeste.
It's informative to see your stages of progress.

suzannepaints said...

Lovely! Your progress with the set up is great to see.

SamArtDog said...

Have you ever re-reworked one? Three paintings in one? Ha! I can't imagine why you would; the 2nd one is always so fine

Angela said...

Well well I was wondering the best way to do this. I also have many in the painting grave yard

Frank Zweegers said...

Looks really great.

Tahirih said...

Great painting, Celeste! I've done this a few times, but I've actually had trouble with"bleed through", where after a short amount of time, I could see the old image appearing through the new one. Do you know of any way to prevent this?