Friday, May 13, 2011

Potpourri..!


I had a lunch with two friends today (it's Friday the thirteenth)...and I broke no mirrors and no black cats crossed my path. Whew! When I got home I couldn't for the life of me decide what to paint. I just could not come up with anything. Well, I came across this painting that I did in one of my previous life painting sessions and decided to put it up for today's post.  I recall that I painted it super fast, probably in less than three minutes. Sometimes painting fast pays off, as this has some positive qualities.  Remember, this is just an exercise in observation, not something that I thought I'd submit to MOMA or anything (yes, critical Greek guy whom I used to date in the 70's, this is directed at you..you can forgo sending me an email telling me what you don't like about this..I do not care!) For those of you who don't blog, consider yourself lucky, you never have to deal with the slings and arrows from people who insist on giving you unsolicited "reviews". Ok, moving on, here is a potpourri of some recent photos that I thought I'd share.


This is a batch of glass bottles stuck in a hay bale wall at the People's Food Co-op. The bottle bottoms "light up" when the sun shines through them...it looks amazing!


At the same People's Market I bought Carrie a Coconut water drink. She took one sip and her face went all "I just drank poison"-like. I thought she might be exaggerating, so I tasted it myself. OMG! It was truly the worst drink I've ever tasted ever. Deceptively innocent can.


They were making a movie right down the street from my house this week. The movie's working title is "GONE". The movie people commandeered several streets for days...and now they are actually...."gone".


This is a mural that I pass on my way to Tuesday art meetings. Portland is the "Rose City" and that rose in the center has 3 people depicted as "petals".  One is clearly Martin Luther King, but I always wonder who the other petals are supposed to be.


I'll always remember the great advice I got from the phenomenal artist Crawfurd Adamson...he said "draw and paint hands and feet all the time..everyone avoids it...... Don't".

So..... now what about YOU....how was your week ....?

(Top Photo): Oil sketch: Celeste Bergin, Profile, oil on 12x18 canvas panel
(Bottom Photo): drawing: Celeste Bergin, Feet studies, pencil on 6 x 9 paper

11 comments:

AutumnLeaves said...

Best. Post. Ever. LOL You made me laugh this a.m., my friend. So sorry you have to deal with this guy. One good thing; I have no previous suitors who are still in touch with me. Or vice versa. At any rate, this is so pretty, so delicate and full of grace. How on earth do you do this so constantly? Sigh....

Cindy Michaud said...

Enjoyed the mash up of random photos! My week was spent (among other things) wondering why everyone was commenting on a February post that I had forgotten about!! Leave it to blogger "maintenance." Have a grand weekEND!

Libby Fife said...

Just writing in to offer a critical review of that sketch. Just kidding!!!:):):)

I have been following your blog for awhile now. I enjoy the paintings and sketches of course but the everyday life commentary is fun too. Looks like you had a good day:)

L.W.Roth, said...

Love the fast painting. It has a romantic air to it. Guys like to kiss necks.
The photos are interesting too especially the glass bottles in the hay. My week? Come see. I spent the week annoying myself by studying Chuck Close up close using myself as the victim.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

LOL! The old/ex- boyfriend has no clue ... perhaps that's why he's the OLD and the EX.

Your feet sketches are remarkable. They are well done, have lots of energy, and show your prowess at observation and describing what you see with line. Super!

Casey Klahn said...

Good to see your "back." And the feet, as well. I like to find hand sketch practice images - the feet need the same attention.

hw (hallie) farber said...

I had to be on the road yesterday--I usually avoid 13ths (whether Fridays or not). I stopped the car twice and carried turtles to the other side of the road--hoping to mitigate the 13th bad vibes. It worked.

Nice painting and nice body parts. I think the Greek guy is still smitten.

Chris said...

looks like Ghandi, maybe Aung San Suu Kyi, and is that Spock on the lower left?

Sadami said...

Hi, Celeste,
We have rainy days and fine days. I found this say at hospital.
"Live simply. Love passionately. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Let us enjoy dancing in a storm!!
Regarding foundamental drawing skills, it's a "never ending story." I always sketch someone and come back to basics.
Cheers, Sadami

PAMO said...

What a wonderful mix of commentary and art. I enjoyed every word and photo!
The critical guy... sheesh! I agree with Hallie- he still has a thing for you.

Carrie H. said...

You failed to mention that coconut liquid tasted just like someone had soaked coconut shells in recycled bath water.... Bleckkh!!!!