Thursday, May 19, 2011

Two kinds of painting

Here's my oil sketch from today.  I really enjoyed considering these shapes and colors.

Earlier today I helped my friend Carolyn Rondthaler work on a mural in a classroom at the First Unitarian Church downtown. The mural was conceived and designed by Carolyn's friend Jim Gronsand who passed away unexpectedly near the end of the project. It just needs a few passes of varnish and it will be 100% done.

That's me, what did you do today??



(Top Photo): Oil sketch: Celeste Bergin, Daffodil, oil on 8 x 10 canvas panel
Bottom photo 2:  Carolyn and Linda working on Jim's mural, photo 3: Mural detail

12 comments:

martinealison said...

Une belle esquisse de jonquille... Une nature en fête... Gros bisous

AutumnLeaves said...

Beautiful and springy tulips, Celeste. The mural is awesome and it makes me sad to know the original artist has passed away. I personally thank you and Carolyn for working to finish this beautiful art work. I hope the students and teachers just love it!

hw (hallie) farber said...

My favorite flower. Does anyone like to varnish? It's so nice of you and your friends to do that part.

Janelle Goodwin said...

That mural is absolutely beautiful, but it's so big. Was it difficult putting varnish on it? Lovely daffodils, Celeste!

Rachel Harvey said...

your daffodil is gorgeous.

L.W.Roth, said...

Nice sketch. In fact, I like the unfinished sketchiness of the sketch.

L.W.Roth, said...

Nice sketch. In fact, I like the unfinished sketchiness of the sketch.

billspaintingmn said...

Interesting Celeste! About 5 or 6 of these miniture guys popped up and hung around for a few days. I think they are daffoldills. They look almost artificial they are so perfect.
You captured this flower well!

Dan Kent said...

Great sketch - so immediate!! Now I am going to peruse and catch up!

Plum Gallery News said...

The daffodil is wonderful, and you are so thoughtful to post it as a contrast to the mural. One expressive and the other exacting...but both evoking beauty. Thanks for your pictures of the mural painting process. As usual, you hit the mark exactly!!! The scale helps see what kind of job this is. Yes, Janelle....it is big...and we were just involved in touchups so far. The varnish is the next step.

Virginia Floyd said...

I like the looseness and vibrancy of your daffodil sketch. Lovely!

BrandNewStudio said...

WOW