Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Portrait

Sometimes, when I don't have all my paints laid out, I like to paint with just Raw Umber, Ultramarine Blue and white. It's a satisfying exercise and from time to time I've let things like this dry and add color in glazes later. Great fun! What is especially nice about this is that there is no pressure. When we think of things as "only an exercise" and we use just 3 colors, well, there might be rewards. (Photos with steps below)

Painting: Celeste Bergin, Portrait, oil on 11x14 canvas panel

1. Rough in general shape

2. Continue placing largest shapes

3. Refine shapes

4. Put in darkest darks

5. Add lights and mid tones

6. Add absolute lightest lights and highlights and restate some darks...finished!

13 comments:

Linda Popple said...

I really enjoy seeing your process and love to see what you are doing. It's always something interesting!

SamArtDog said...

I believe you have more fun painting than anyone else I can think of. It's very infectious and makes your blog so fun to read. Thanks for making it all feel possible!

William Cook said...

Very cool--thanks for the lesson! I like the possibility of adding color later--or not--no pressure. Great attitude.

Sharon Wright said...

Ah, my favourite thing......a limited palette. You use it so well and have fun too, what can be better?

weekend et coup de brosse said...

Très jolies décompositions: ces différentes étapes.
Bonne journée Céleste.
cath.

AutumnLeaves said...

Absolutely beautiful, Celeste. I love the mood of this piece. In fact, I think you paint moods better than anyone! Your work always makes me wonder at what the person is feeling, where they are going, what is next.

Sadami said...

Hi, Celeste,
Thank you for showing the process. Very interesting to see oil(*I gave it up at school!). I wonder mixing colours could be a bit different from watercolour... I only have a few colours in my travel kit and enough. How many colours do you have?
Cheers, Sadami

Ruca said...

I love seeing the development of the painting. The finished work is great! Thanks for taking the time to record it.
Tchao-wow.

L.W.Roth, said...

Limited palettes are such a pleasure. They keep indecisiveness and trial and error out of the picture.

Dean H. said...

This is a great exercise, Celeste! I like the way ya think. Enjoyed the progress shots.

billspaintingmn said...

Is it a pose, or a moment in time?
You've been able to show a feeling
of contentment, yet something seems
to have caught her attention.

With three colors you've expressed a world of ponder!

hw (hallie) farber said...

Ah, you make it seem so easy.

SKIZO said...

ExcellentWork
GoodCreations