Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Drawing from yesteryear

I had lots to do today, so I didn't paint. I'll paint tomorrow! Here is a drawing that I keep propped up in my studio. Even though it is more controlled than I currently draw, I still like it after all these years. It was an assignment from my instructor Howard Neufeld at MHCC. The assignment was to draw two versions of the same photo, one freehand and one using a grid. This is my freehand drawing and I always felt satisfaction over the fact that it turned out better than the additional drawing I did using the grid.

Graphite Drawing, Celeste Bergin, Jean Harlow, (1978), Graphite on Illustration Board

9 comments:

Jane said...

Fabulous Celeste, at first I thought it was a photograph, amazingly similar.

Carrie H. said...

You've changed your technique a little now. ;)

AutumnLeaves said...

She is so beautiful, Celeste! I am quite happy to see that I knew who she was too! I find that grids do help me when it comes to people. They are always just a bit too off when I try it freehand. LOL

Cynthia Schelzig said...

really, I thought it was a foto of her...it is stunning to say the least....if she could see it she would be highly impressed for sure...she was a great actress. Good art never grows old...

Sadami said...

Hi, Celeste,
Great drawing that makes me smile. We all start from there: classsic & basic for foundamental drawing skills. I used to made portraits of famous characters in my textbooks at school...(*much more fun than lectures!) My graffiti became so polupar among us, students, hehehe?!

Casey Klahn said...

It is a wonderful drawing. It is amazing how the grid can kill something - take the life out.

I grid when I must, though.

Dean H. said...

The satisfaction you felt at this was completely justifiable, Celeste.

I used to draw the stars from the movie mags many moon ago....Loved it!

SamArtDog said...

Ah, yes. We were so much tighter when we were younger. Looking good, for sure, but much tighter.

hw (hallie) farber said...

It's good to look back, and what a wonderful drawing. Can you remember how many hours this took? For some reason, Jean Harlow reminds me of you.