Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wednesday--!



I went to Elio's workshop in Cascade Locks today. It was super windy and .....unseasonably chilly. Luckily I had two fleece-y things with me, so I wore them both. Elio gave a lecture/demonstration about all manner of things and then we all fanned out to find our own scenes. My first painting was of some daisies, just for "warm up". I then painted a scene looking down the river onto a previously textured surface.  I tried a view of Table Mountain, but it was a complete failure. Well, all is not lost, the location was great and Elio showed me what went wrong on painting #3. ("I never look at a bad painting as a failure or a waste of paper. I look at it as a learning experience". --Vivian Sathre)

Top Painting: Celeste Bergin, Daisies, oil on 9 x 12 canvas panel
Bottom Painting: Celeste Bergin, Near Cascade Locks, oil on 10 x 8 canvas panel
Slideshow of the day:

12 comments:

Bill Sharp said...

Great Atmosphere in both of these. Nice color too.

My best to Elio when you see him

AutumnLeaves said...

Both of these pieces are just beautiful, Celeste. Maybe its my mood this a.m., but both seem haunting and I like that, a sense that time has transcended.

Libby Fife said...

I like both but the second one really caught my eye. It does look like it was a chilly day! Nice effects:)

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Very nicely done, Celeste.

Virginia Floyd said...

Each of these is beautiful. I love all the wonderful colors you found in both scenes. Nice value contrasts too.

Suzanne said...

Lovely paintings, Celeste! Thanks for the slide show. Except for needing the winter coat the scene makes plein air look so inviting.

SUSAN RODEN said...

Near Cascade Locks is so light, loose and enticing.Lovely Celeste!

suzannepaints said...

The texture of the previous painting shows a bit and adds interest to this beautiful painting.

Pam Holnback said...

Love the looseness in the flowers!

billspaintingmn said...

Everything is a learning experience, That's why blogs like yours are so much fun!

Nartizt said...

Love these and the color palettes you used. I'd love to have fleece-wear weather - I'm melting in Ohio.

Dan Kent said...

It is really good to know that you have "complete failures" now & then - there is hope for the rest of us! Both of these are successes though. I love the flowers. I found the picture of the demonstration canvas quite interesting.