Friday, August 19, 2011

......Glazed over

Well, I had every confidence that I could apply color over the top of "Outdoor Painter" and have a good result. Alas! I forgot that "you can't win them all."  I worked on it today, and it completely TANKED. Fortunately, it is no big deal to remove wet paint off of an underpainting, so I did that and set it aside to take another run at it another time. I was still pretty invested in the idea of glazing on top of dry painting, so I added a blue layer to this older study that I did several months ago. I think the blue added some interest and dimension. 

Oil Study: Celeste Bergin, Rain in the City, 9 x 12, oil on canvas panel

15 comments:

hw (hallie) farber said...

I went waaay back in your blog to find this painting (Dec. 29). The blue really does add interest.

I always enjoy looking at your past work. Your recent work, though, just glows. It's time to change your heading "Celeste Bergin, Painter" to Celeste Bergin, Artist."

Dave Starr said...

You're right. The blue added a new mood. I like this method of using just one color over the top. I'll try it!

Dave Starr said...

...................have you done this before with other dried paintings?

Carolyn Rondthaler said...

Oh---yeah!!!! Such an intense mood to it now.

lilasvb said...

i lked this one a lot, espacially the blue

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Celeste,
And it's just plain pretty, too.
Sincerely,
Gary.

AutumnLeaves said...

Your pieces always have a mood of mystery and intrigue to me, often times with romance thrown into the mix. Rather like Bogart movies to my mind. Just gorgeous, my friend!!

Sadami said...

Hi,Celeste,
Just take it easy. We all have "rainy days and fine days."
Cheers,wink,wink,Sadami

geraldo roberto da silva said...

Wonderful!

Virginia Floyd said...

Wonderful the way the blue added to the mood of your painting.!

-Don said...

Kudos to you for not letting failure get in the way of success. I like what the blues do for this. It's cool. (bad pun intended.)

-Don

Dean H. said...

Definitely adds punch to the painting, Celeste! Much improved IMHO.

Gillian said...

I really like this piece - it tells a great story and has a lot of interest in the loose brushstrokes.
I enjoy experimenting with glazing too - it works a treat in acrylics as well but unless you're quick, wiping off isn't an option!

Sharon Wright said...

Intriguing atmosphere now, glorious little painting. You have my admiration in bucketfuls. I love how you keep going and experimenting.

Preston Furniture Storage said...

Nice paint you've got Celeste. Keep it up!