Tuesday, August 23, 2011

If it's Tuesday...this must be Belgium!


Sketch: Celeste Bergin, My Sony Camera, watercolor and ink on 6x9 paper

One has to be a certain vintage to "get" the title of this post (all right, I'll tell you, it is the title of an old movie). Tuesdays are art filled days, starting at O'Connor's for the PPASP meeting and then culminating at Carolyn's for further talk and sketching. My little workhorse "Sure Shot" Sony camera is only operational about 75% of the time, but luckily I have another Sony camera in my tote bag for "back up". I take a lot of pictures every day.
I feel compelled to also share a video link with you today. My high school friend Georgi sent it to me in an email. If you are young you will miss the irony that these Japanese youngsters in the video are playing swing music that was popular during the time America was at war with the Japanese. (No, I wasn't around for WWII, but my Mom was). Watch the video HERE.
(Wouldn't it be wonderful if there were never any war...?)

10 comments:

Dave Starr said...

I have a Sony camera too. They do eventually wear out. The video was quirky and, as you pointed out, very unusual when you think of the division between our worlds. I have read that the eastern mind hears music differntly than the western mind. That is why Japanese music sounds harsh to our ears. Interesting post.

Dave Starr said...

HEY forgot to say I have to come to one of those meetings.

Stacy Wahl said...

Celeste, your sketches are fun to look at, always so bold. One of these days can you help me set up my blog like you said you could?

Celeste Bergin said...

Dave, please come to a meeting! Make sure you get there on the early side if you are late you have to eat your breakfast on the very corner of the table!

Celeste Bergin said...

Stacy, blogger is easy, go to the blogger start up page and follow the prompts! If you hit a snag email me. You won't believe how easy it is.

AutumnLeaves said...

I love when you get together at Carolyn's. Wish I lived in Portland area; I think I'd actually have live and in person friends! I am quite pleased to announce that I've never heard of that movie/title! Hah! LOLOL

Janelle Goodwin said...

It would be so much fun to attend one of your breakfast meetings. I enjoyed the video very much!!!

Kim said...

Celeste, were you an illustrator in your former life? LOVE your sketches. As for the video, great! (and loved the crocheted mouse : )

hw (hallie) farber said...

Okay--I remember the movie and I think I might have worn dresses with sailor collars!

Nice drawing of the Sony.

SamArtDog said...

Jeez, I love your posts! They're always timely. Just last night, I played "Sing Sing Sing", the Benny Goodman Columbia Records original for my mom here in Maine. Swear it's my favorite piece of rock and roll. We all rocked!

P.S. Sony rules!