Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Wednesday--!

Today I got all my gear ready for the Pacific Northwest Plein Air 2011 Competition and Exhibition. This is the 7th annual event and I've been so lucky to participate in all of them! When I gathered up my equipment this afternoon I thought back to the first year and remembered how I took way too much stuff. I've got it pared down considerably and I'm experienced enough now that I am confident I do have everything I need. It's fun to get ready now, instead of nerve racking like it was the first year. 

I had lunch today with an art friend, Jim King! In my "former life", I and all my art director/graphic artist pals had a hero worship thing for anyone who graduated from the Art Center College. Well, guess what...that is where Jim was educated. No wonder all Jim's paintings have such beautiful composition and strong design. Jim and I talked over lunch about the importance of drawing. It doesn't matter that Jim draws absolutely expertly...he still "practices" every week. I vow to adopt a similar attitude. 

Hope your Wednesday was a good one. Mine was great!
Painting: Celeste Bergin, In the Field, oil on 10x8 canvas panel


Jim King in his Studio

7 comments:

Rachel Harvey said...

see you tomorrow!

AutumnLeaves said...

Absolutely gorgeous painting, Celeste. I love the autumn feel of the piece so very much. I have to agree with Jim. I really think drawing is foundational and wish I were better at it!

Virginia Floyd said...

Beautiful painting. I smiled when I read about your first plein air outing. I haven't done that, but before I went to my first workshop (indoors), I was so nervous!

Jeanette said...

What fun to take part in this plein air competition. I will look forward to seeing what you produce.

As for the importance of drawing, I can't emphasize just how important it is. It was drilled into me early on and sticks to this day as well as influences outcomes in paintings.

Casey Klahn said...

Cool to "meet" Mr. King.

Will you post your gear list for this trip? Inquiring minds want to know.

L.W.Roth, said...

Another beautiful painting Celeste. Your paintings have such a nice feeling to them. Drawing is absolutely fundamental. Daily is ideal.

hw (hallie) farber said...

"In the Field" shines. I can see why you liked Mr. King's work--beautiful. I know you'll enjoy your plein air event; and I'll enjoy seeing the results.