Friday, September 9, 2011

Friday!

I'm all in love with gessoing paper lately. This afternoon I gessoed some pages in my sketch books. I realize that it would probably make a whole lot more sense to gesso single sheets and then bind the pages into a sketchbook. Maybe I'll do that someday. I also cleaned my studio today and came across these works that I painted on gessoed paper. I like the freedom of paper.. If it works, fine...and if it doesn't ...it's so easy to throw away.

Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Figure, Oil painted over black Gessoed 6x9 paper

Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Spiritual Road, oil on gessoed 9x6 paper

Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Self portrait that looks marginally like me, oil on 8x10 gessoed paper

Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Girl in a hat, oil on 9x6 gessoed paper

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never gessoed paper. Ths inspires me to try it. I like that it seems throwaway, but if you like a result, can you keep it and frame it?
Stacy D.

Dave Starr said...

doesn't the paper get all warpy? doesn't the gessoed pages stick together?

Dave Starr said...

the self portrait looks like you except you don't usually look that sad!

Janelle Goodwin said...

That's a great idea, gessoed paper. You've inspired me to try it. By the way, I love your figure painting. So colorful and intriguing!

Dan Kent said...

I immediately recognized your self-portrait! Beautifully done. Wonderful to have a sketchbook like that. Neat idea.

Casey Klahn said...

It was a wonderful thing to see your paintings at the Columbia Center. I particularly liked Gorge Morning, Serenade and The Columbia River. Your painting talent is great!!!

Celeste Bergin said...

Stacy, yes, I imagine I could frame any of them, but I haven't.
Dave..."warpy"? --no, it flattens out as it dries. I agree I look hang-dog in my self portrait!
Janelle, thanks! I liked how that figure came out, thanks for visiting my blog :)
Dan! Thanks I enjoy your works on paper too :)
Casey, thanks for the Kudos..glad you got to see the Plein Air Hood River Show...I love participating in it!

hw (hallie) farber said...

Beautiful works; I especially like "Spiritual Road."

billspaintingmn said...

These look great Celeste!

The color in the figure is edge-y, hence powerful!

Spiritual road is!

Your self portrait has feeling!

Girl in a hat is linked by the darks.

Gesso'd paper sounds interesting!

Thanks for posting!

SKIZO said...

I love your work
was a pleasure to visit you again

Carrie H. said...

I like all these. Fits your looseness, this gesso stuff.I like watercolor on gesso because it gets to acting like a hot press surface with great lifting capability.