Tuesday, September 13, 2011

sketchy sketchy!

No time to paint today..so I did the next best thing... I sketched on gessoed paper with the (newly discovered) "Elegant Writers". (The Elegant Writer pens were apparently designed for calligraphy, but my watercolorist friend Carrie Holst showed me how adding water to the ink sketch results in a nifty wash). Recently I found out that "Elegant Writers" also come in assorted colors (aside from black). I bought my set at Muse.

Top photo: Sketch, Celeste Bergin, Idea for a painting, ink & water on 6x9 gessoed paper

 Sketch, Celeste Bergin, People milling about, ink & water on 6x9 gessoed paper

The Elegant Writers...(recommended!)

6 comments:

AutumnLeaves said...

Between you and David Lobenberg, I have fallen in love with ink washes and so want to give it a whirl. Fear. Abject terror at screwing it up has thus far kept me from it. That all said, these are fabulous, Celeste!

Dave Starr said...

I might try the pens, but I doubt I can get anything that looks good. I want to see the idea for a painting as a painting. I can envision how you might paint it

Dave Starr said...

I gessoed some paper on your advise. Now I have a bunch of gessoed paper and it is curled up looking uninviting sain

Dan Kent said...

I love the looseness of sketch no. 1. I'm coming to realize that it is the way you suggest things with values and colors without excessive definition that I like - I need to try more of that.

Sharon Wright said...

Gorgeous sketches, especially the top one....a work of art itself!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Love these loose sketches!