Sunday, September 11, 2011

Study with a Limited palette


This is a study. I may paint a 2nd version. I used Ultramarine Blue, Ochre, Transparent Red Oxide, and white. Here are the steps:

1. I Painted in the basic shapes

2. I Established the darkest darks and painted them in with thin paint

3. Next, I painted in the lightest lights

4. Finally, I established all the other basic mid-tones and re-stated some darks

(If I want to finish this or do another I will place some additional lights and darks, and make some value and edge adjustments). :)

Oil Study: Celeste Bergin, Ballet Dancer, oil on 9 x 12 canvas panel

12 comments:

Sadami said...

Hi,Celeste,
Brilliant!! I love your sketch-like, spontaneous work, but indeed, they are endorsed by your painstaking study and tens of "millions" of drawings. Congrats! Thank you for sharing the precious process.
Cheers,Sadami

billspaintingmn said...

Celeste! I love this! You are not limited!

Jenny Schouten Short said...

Thank you, Celeste. I had not thought of laying in the darks in a thin paint. What is so great about what you are doing is getting the full range of value working in yor composition. xo Jenny

Sharon Wright said...

Love this! And how could I not when you have used my palette.

AutumnLeaves said...

I have always so admired the grace, beauty, and fitness of the ballerina and using a ballerina as a subject is just so very beautiful. Love this study, Celeste. Love the way Sadami said my very thoughts.

Dean H. said...

Thanks for sharing the progression, Celeste!

I really like all the negative shapes created by the dancer's pose!

Caio Fern said...

I like the moviment of it !

Tim Robinson said...

Looks great Celeste.

IB138 said...

I luv seeing the work in progress and how it all comes together.

Peace~Barney

Everything Strength
IronBearFitness

hw (hallie) farber said...

Beautiful, Celeste.

Virginia Floyd said...

Love this. As I was looking at each step, I was thinking that each one could be presented as a finished painting. Thanks for sharing!

Dave Starr said...

I really like this. Will you do another?