Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunday...Industry & Art on Swan Island

Today I went to the Industry and Art Exhibit at Swan Island. It was located in Building #10 of Vigor Industrial. It was fantastic to see an art gallery set up right there within the Shipyard.

Spacious! Plenty of room to view Henk Pander's two large watercolors and all the other industry art.

The lighting was gorgeous (both by fixtures and natural light). Alongside the paintings, photography and sculpture the employees of Vigor had their own show in the same building. Nice touch!

As a bonus I got to board and tour the only operational PT Boat currently in existence. PT 658 served in WWII.

Lots of things impressed me today...these stairs down to the PT boat were carpeted. I have to think that it was done just for visitors.

Here's "our" Steamer Portland, the same ship I painted from just the other day. It made the trip to Swan Island from the downtown waterfront, just for this event.

It was a beautiful day on Swan Island.... rainy but sunny too.

I hope there will be another Industry and Art show again next year. It's a great way to get people out to see places they wouldn't normally get to visit....and the art very eloquently honors those who work on the waterfront. Five stars!

11 comments:

AutumnLeaves said...

Oh so fabulous! I think you and I would be the greatest of friends and get on like a house afire (assuming you could stand my negative self-thinking), Celeste. I love doing this type of thing and what a fabulous venue! I sure would love to see the PT boat too. (My mind instantly went to McHale's Navy...) Me? I started a third piece. Yes. That is right; I have 3 pieces in progress. I think I'll actually finish the art history piece today!

Victor Errington said...

Hi Celeste.
This is the first time that I have visited your blog, glad that I have.
I got you from Michaels blog, PAINT BITES. I love seeing your photos and your Portraits are brilliant. Well done. All the best Celeste.
Vic.

Bill Sharp said...

I went to the show yesterday as well. I wish I had known about this show. I would love to have submitted some work. Henk Pander is my hero and those pieces were wonderful. I'm also a big fan of Lli Wilburn. Sorry I missed you there.

Casey Klahn said...

Shades of McHale's Navy! Fun to see the PT boat - thanks for that.

The exhibit does look good in your photos. I wonder if it was promoted well - that would be the key - getting people to an offbeat, but fine, venue.

L.W.Roth, said...

Sounds like an amazing outing. Industrial things intrigue me and of course, art, but putting them both together is brilliant. The PT boat looks fascinating--shipping docks are fascinating.

Quin Sweetman said...

Thanks for sharing this, Celeste! I wanted to visit so your photos and recap are the next best thing. I also would have loved to have submitted as I have even painted Swan Island. Great idea for the future.

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
really good idea the industrial show and i loved the PT boat. I suspect you right about the carpet. A nice touch from the Navy!

hw (hallie) farber said...

Wow! The building looks like sculpture--great place for an art show. Nice portrait on your blog yesterday; I'm catching up.

-Don said...

What a cool venue for a show. Thanks for sharing about it. I would love to get onboard that PT boat. I remember studying all about that class of boat as a 5th Grader after I found out about the story of PT 109. Sweet!

-Don

Dave Starr said...

nice tour.... I wish I had heard about it!

martinealison said...

Je suis certaine que ce fut une bien agréable visite... En réalité l'art peut s'admirer dans n'importe quel environnement...
Gros bisous et merci pour vos généreuses photos.