Friday, October 21, 2011

Charcoal ....on Wallis Paper

I discovered Wallis Paper when I first started painting.  I met Kitty Wallis back then and she generously gave me some samples. Wallis paper is unique, it is "sandpaper" (a very high grade) designed to "grab" your dry or wet media. I have used it for both pastels and oils. Every now and then I like to do a sketch on Wallis...because of the unusual sensation of that "grab". It seems the contrast can be much greater on Wallis paper than on any other artist paper.

I sketched this image and then dampened an old brush with mineral spirits, dragging it through the drawing to create some blur. If you use a brush on Wallis paper you just have to make sure it is an old brush you don't care about. (The sandpaper damages your brush).

Sketch (an idea for a painting): Celeste Bergin, Waiting in the rain, Charcoal on Wallis Belgium Mist, cropped to 6 x 12

14 comments:

Carolyn Rondthaler said...

I really like this Celeste. I hadn't thought about that contrast effect with Wallis paper. Something to think of.....

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

What a beautiful, dreamy piece!

Sheryl Anthony said...

Celeste, I never think to do a black and white sketch like this. You are calling it an idea for a painting, but as far as I am concerned, it stands on it's own.

Sharon Wright said...

Splendid drawing, Celeste. I love the 'dragged' bits, creates just the right atmosphere.

conservativelybohemian said...

Oh how pretty! And I learned something new too. I like the drama in this one, Celeste.

lilasvb said...

beautifullescr

Libby Fife said...

I find that the texture of whatever support that I use really affects how I end up feeling about the painting. Some surfaces just aren't my cup of tea. I may have to check out this surface though-looks interesting.

The painting looks good:)!

L.W.Roth, said...

I am fascinated by this paper I have never heard of till now. I've always used black pastel for the darkest tone in my charcoal drawings--but the contrast was too great and the texture too different. Thanks.

I'm starting to think you live where it rains all the time; umbrellas are a consistent theme of yours. I like these pictures very much. They feel melancholy--or maybe that's me when I think rain?

billspaintingmn said...

I've never tried wallis paper, but the effect with charcoal is interesting.

Jane said...

LOVE this, very dramatic!

Marie Theron said...

No painting needed! This sketch is so strong and stands on its own as an artwork. Wonderful medium for working on, I have never come across it!

Kitty Wallis said...

What a revelation! We always tell artists our paper isn't good for charcoal. "You can control any medium on it except charcoal and watercolor." to quote me.

Your piece is strong. Well done. I stand corrected.

Dave Starr said...

this makes me want to try out the paper

Bryn said...

I love the piece. As far as your brushes holding up, have you tried using synthetic brushes? They hold up well on Wallis, while natural bristles tend to get cut and abraded off pretty quickly.