Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sunday .....!

I went to the Broderick Gallery "Verticals" reception today. It was enjoyable to talk with artist Martha Mason. Her paintings are abstract, but with the occasional "recognizable" item thrown in.  "I like to draw", she said...and that was clear in all her work. Even when the work was completely abstract, one could see the quality of her sure and beautiful line. I'm with Martha...I like to draw. When I got home I painted this quick value study from a photo reference.
Visit Martha & George's reception HERE

Oil Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Value Study, oil on 9 x 12 canvas paper.

4 comments:

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
very nice figure, simple and elegant!

conservativelybohemian said...

Great shapes as well as the values. Probably a good thing we don't live near each other for your sake, Celeste. I'd drive you bonkers asking you to teach me things.

hw (hallie) farber said...

Celeste, you're able to capture these moments beautifully with such sureness. Maybe it's from practice, but I think you've also got "the eye" and your own special style.

Sheryl Anthony said...

This is a fine example of how just a few values are plenty to get the whole idea across